Woodworking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woodworking

I've been getting more into woodworking lately and am trying too think of good wood gifts for my hunting buddies. Anyone here have any ideas?
    "You can trust everything you read on the internet" -Abraham Lincoln

If you have a scroll saw, there are literally thousands of projects for outdoorsman. They are inexpensive to make, good for the novice through expert, and usually not too time intensive. Google "free scroll saw plans" and have at it. I've done a LOT of them and they are a great stress reliever too.
    I'm the kind of friend who will help you get rid of a body. But if you betray me, just remember...I know how to dispose of a body. Just sayin'.

Comment

Fishing lure bottle opener?

Comment

• JJC3049
        JJC3049 commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you make this? Do you have the instructions or are you selling them?

Barmandr, I have a scroll saw and do quite a bit of work on it. I'm slowly getting more proficient and accurate, in spite of using a cheap Craftsman. I just got a book on wildlife and knocked out a moose the other night. I'm trying to come up with more "useful" gifts for hunting buddies than the plaques and signs. Unfortunately, my family members who hunt are more interested in getting things they can use than things that sit on a shelf.

Comment

Nedyarb, I like your idea... maybe small spike sheds would work too in the place of the lure? Although then I'd have to find some more sheds!

Comment

Do you have a lathe/mini lathe? I make pen and pencil sets out of wood, acrylic, and antler. If you can get them to give you one of their antlers they didn't mount, you can make a pretty nice keepsake out of it for them. You can do key rings, letter openers, etc...I have a buttload of the kits and I'd be happy to give you some, plus the instructions.
          I'm the kind of friend who will help you get rid of a body. But if you betray me, just remember...I know how to dispose of a body. Just sayin'.

Comment

I wish I had a lathe! I've thought about getting one but then I usually end up spending the money on hunting gear. Where did you get those kits you are talking about?

Comment

I bought them from Rockler, but you can get them at Midwest Woodworking in Omaha.

Comment

Have you heard of intarsia? Pretty neat stuff. Ebay has a lot of kits and finished pieces to check out.

Comment

make gun racks to hang a gun over the door. nice oak board with wood hooks to hold the gun. make booster chairs for there little kids or grankids out of 1x1o pine board . raises the kid up about 5 inchs off of a regular chair. little kids get sick of highchairs an want to set at the table with everyone else.

Comment

im working on a gun chest at the moment. Woodworking is quickly becoming one of my favorite hobbies.

Comment

My dad has always had an extensive wood shop, and I try to get up there and make stuff here and there.

Ceiling mounted rod rack was my last outdoor type project, simple but a great gift to a fisherman with too many rods.

He used to have a lathe that I made a handful of lures on, that was always fun.

Comment

I just finished a bed frame, turned out pretty good. However, I didn't take into account the angle at which it would have to go through our small house and it won't fit into any of the bedrooms! Now I am faced with the decision to either sell it or modify it to make it fit...
                        Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

I made our families some salt & pepper shakers on the lathe, my wife liked a couple so much she wouldn't give them away and I had to make more! I glued maple & walnut strips together on a few that turned out especially nice. I made a napkin holder & rack for the shakers out of the same wood combination. They were hits with everyone.
                          Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

Our bed frame had the same issue. Chop off the pinnacles, attach the nail-in nuts and studs (can't really think of a word for these, but it's female thread, and held in with nails, or spikes built into the nut base).

Comment

Working...
                            X