Table saws?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Needed Table saws?

I've got an older craftsman, got it at a garage sale years ago for 10 bucks. It works, but it's not great.

I'm in the market for a new (or newer, via craigslist etc) table saw. I'd like to spend less $250.

Biggest issue with current saw, no idea on cut width and the fence isn't the most reliable. Before cutting, I have to measure from the blade to the fence, check the front of the blade, the back of the blade, the front again, etc etc, and then after a cut or three, re check to make sure the fence didn't slip, and readjust if it did.

Any recommendations? I'm not looking at ripping 4x8 sheets, but do rip some pieces that are 2-3' sometimes.
    Last edited by holdemplyer; 10-29-2013, 11:56 AM.
    Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gone, but never forgotten!

All the table saws that are worth a dang, IMO, are a bit more than $250. You can get by with one around the price, but it may not last as long as you'd like. My suggestion is go to a pawn shop and see if they have any there. A lot of times a contractor will go to pawn shops for equipment before buying new.

Comment

If you can afford it, SawStop would be the way to go...only they're about 10 times what you want to pay.

Pawn Shops would be a pretty good place to start. Not sure anything is US made anymore, but I would definitely stay away from Hitachi.

Delta, Bosch, Milwaukee, Porter Cable are all pretty reputable brands. If you could find a used one, they may even be USA made.
      Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

I work in construction and have used them all. DeWalt and Bosch are your best bets. They both have a big and small version. I currently am using the smaller Bosch. I can cut up to 18 inches but rarely do. The bigger models will cut up to 24 inches. If I need to cut 4 by 8 plywood a good straight edge, a couple clamps, and a skilsaw works the best. Pawn shops or Craigslist are your best bets for getting one for around $250. I think I paid around $350 for the Bosch and stay away from the hitachi table saw it's junk. Been there done that.

Comment

So you want to replace your table saw which is on the lower end of the price scale with another saw on the lower end of the price scale (new purchase price) and hope for better results? You might want to look into a better after market fence but you might have to raise your price range to get one. There seems to be a number of people that have installed the vega fence system on craftsman saws that seem to be happy with the results. Fit and finish reviews are so so but results seem to be generally favorable. It also looks like some people have reported installing a delta t2 fence on craftsman saws it looks like that may be a cheaper alternative then the vega. The vega fence is still sold I don't know if the delta is or not. Whatever you decide to do good luck and I hope you find a solution to your current saw problems. I will post a link to the vega fence from Rockler woodworking with some reviews. Maybe if you search you cand find a better price on it or an alternative fence at a better price. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5933&Max=999

Comment

Originally posted by 77tech View Post
            So you want to replace your table saw which is on the lower end of the price scale with another saw on the lower end of the price scale (new purchase price) and hope for better results?
            My original didn't express thoughts, that happens alot. I'm more looking for brands/models to keep an eye out for in the used market.

My cabinet making neighbor has a 15amp Bosch w/ stand he's not using and been trying to sell me for $350. I'm considering it.

Comment

Homemade table saw.......http://woodgears.ca/homemade_tablesaw/

Comment

Originally posted by fish_finder View Post
                That's pretty cool! But so far out of my league it's not even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by holdemplyer View Post
                  My original didn't express thoughts, that happens alot. I'm more looking for brands/models to keep an eye out for in the used market.

My cabinet making neighbor has a 15amp Bosch w/ stand he's not using and been trying to sell me for $350. I'm considering it.
                  if the fence is good pounce on it. You might want to look at Grizzly. I bought a new saw for my shop 16 months ago and found out during that process that nothing is made in America anymore. You might consider looking for a retrofit Biesemeyer fence or something similar for your sears saw.
                  http://www.toolfetch.com/jet-708482-...FWXl7Aod0DcAFw
                  Here kitty kitty

Comment

I agree with the thought about your neighbor's Bosch. It may be a bit more than you want to pay, but it's probably worth every penny.

Otherwise, I have an older Craftsman table saw that I retrofitted a Vega fence system onto and am very happy with the results. The table saw itself is solid. Like anything, you have to do the maintenance on it. The original fence was not so solid, it was kind of junky. But after I put the Vega fence on it, it works like much more expensive saw. I've remodeled several rooms of the house, built my barn shed, and remodeled a former boat of mine with it and it just keeps going and working great.
                    Cheers,
                    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
                    |
                    ¿ <°)))))><

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. Here be dragons...
                    Definition: veg·e·tar·i·an [ve-jə-ˈter-ē-ən] Origin: Native American.
                    1. Old indian word meaning: 'bad hunter'
                    2. See number 1, 'nuff said

Comment

most of the older sears stuff is real good.
                      Here kitty kitty

Comment

For panel cutting, a clamped straight edge and circular saw with the right blade will serve you better than wussing out on a table saw with a bad fence. Worse yet, without a better saw, your sled building options are terribly limited.

If you want a good saw, look for a used cabinet saw, with a Beisenmeyer fence. A "real" saw, unless you steal it from your aged neighbor (grandfather/uncle) will cost you a grand, used or not. Used, at least you can score jigs, extra blades, dust collectors, etc..
                        " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

Working...
                        X