No announcement yet.

Aquaponics = Fish + Plants = Interesting Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This whole AP deal isn't really about the fish production, it's more about using the fish to grow the plants. Perch will probably take around 18 months to grow to a decent size, but in that time they will produce bushel upon bushel of veggies and herbs. I like the fish aspect of it, but that's not where the grub comes from.
    Terry

"Oh! You can't sleep either? Let's go fishing!"
    (Words from my dad at 4:30 AM when we were kids on vacation - after he shook us all awake! I wish he was still here to do that.)

Comment

Oh, I understand that. I want to be able to harvest a decent quantity of fish as well . I might purchase a larger reservoir to hold fish in. I understand that I wont be harvesting large quantities, but it wouldn't hurt to have a decent little supply to pick from time to time.

On average, how much do you estimate the operating costs of the setup to be? (i.e. electricity, food, etc).

Again, thanks for all of the information!!

Comment

It's really not as easy as just making the fish tank bigger and adding more fish. The number/size of fish is determined by the amount of grow bed media and plants you have. That's where the ammonia to nitrate conversion is taking place. If you add too many fish you won't be able to get rid of the ammonia without additional, external bio-filtration.

I'll have to look back through my notes to find the operating costs and post them up a bit later.
        Terry

(Words from my dad at 4:30 AM when we were kids on vacation - after he shook us all awake! I wish he was still here to do that.)

Comment

I planned on matching the plant growth to balance it, but im sure a lot consists of monitoring and making adjustments. I have friends that would love some fresh veggies as well. Ill just have to get them to go part in on the running costs :D.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jdspringr07 View Post
            I planned on matching the plant growth to balance it, but im sure a lot consists of monitoring and making adjustments. I have friends that would love some fresh veggies as well. Ill just have to get them to go part in on the running costs :D.

Hopefully it's more monitoring than adjusting. There isn't really a lot you can change once you have the balance going.

If my math is correct, this is what the electrical costs are per month:
            $2.02 - 264 GPH pump running 24/7 for the bathtub grow bed
            $.50 - 264 GPH pump running 15 min on, 45 min off for the IBC grow bed (sometimes I run this 24/7 for starting and maintaining certain plants)
            $14.40 - (8) 40 watt fluorescent bulbs for 15 hrs per day
            $18.00 - metal halide light for 15 hrs per day
            $36.00 - (2) 500 watt heaters running 12 hrs per day each in the winter
            $70.92 total per month for peak winter running costs

Feed costs have probably averaged about $8/month and you can throw in a few bucks for seeds also. As I've said before, I don't really count the heating costs since I heat the shop anyway, and I'll run less heat with the perch. Other than heat, lighting is my biggest cost. I'm thinking about adding a greenhouse onto the side of the shop to be able to so this with sun power and not as much electricity. AP is really big in Australia and some of the southern U.S. and they just do it outside year around.

I don't know if this makes any economic sense the way I'm doing it. But I do know that it's nice to have fresh food in the winter without having to wonder how many chemicals were sprayed on it and how many miles it traveled in a truck to get to me. Plus, it's kind of fun.
            Terry

Comment

Right on. Im very interested in self sustainabilit . I am thinking about building a green house as well if I do this. Along with some other projects, I feel this should be very interesting (and delicious! Lol).

Comment

I had a question regarding the water that was used in the system. Was the water used pulled from the tap? Well water? Extensively filtered? Chemically altered?

As for the class on 1-11-14, must one be a student of MCC to attend? If not, what is the cost for one to attend said class?

This is a really cool concept, thanks for the information.

Comment

I'm using straight well water. I did use some rain water to help lower the pH in the early days but now I fight a little to keep it in the mid 7s (the nitrification cycle is acidic).

Anyone can attend the one day class at Metro and the cost is $50. Here's the link: http://www.mccneb.edu/ce/classresults.asp
                  Last edited by gn83tm; 12-24-2013, 09:39 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

Need to do a quick update on this. I harvested the rest of the tilapia in mid-October and added 44 perch about the second week of November. They were 1.5-2" long and were supposed to be feed-trained. Actually I asked for a few pounds of feed to get me started but that wasn't shipped with the fish. Everything seemed ok for a couple of weeks but then I started seeing a few floater/sinkers. I wasn't sure what was going on for a week or so but as it turns out, I was starving them. I noticed that they didn't smash the food like the tilapia did and it was very hard to see if they were actually eating - big tank, lots of water splashing around, shy fish, etc. The losses quickly piled up but I started feeding frozen brine shrimp and haven't lost any since then. I'm left with 12 at this point and now have them in my small system so I can keep an eye on them better and hopefully get them trained on pellet feed. Very disappointing, but they say you haven't really done AP until you've killed a bunch of fish and a few plants. I may try to source a few more YP or possibly some small 'gills since I have the capacity for 20-25 fish.

The plants are doing well and keeping us supplied with lettuces/greens, jalapenos, bell peppers, bok choy, and a few strawberries - which never make it to the house (gardener's treat).
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by gn83tm View Post
                      Let me know if you want to check things out.

It looks like the next Saturday class at MCC is January 11. If anyone is at all interested in this stuff, I'd highly recommend attending.

So, I just stumbled upon this post while doing some research for the aquaponics system I'm hoping to start up this summer. I just missed the January class, any idea when the next Saturday class is? I looked at the MCC site and all I could find was a regular class that had a prerequisite of Horticulture 101.

I get the basics of an aquaponics system, but trying to set one up based on just seeing pics/videos online has me a little intimidated. I would love to get hands-on training to be able to do this.

Thanks!

Comment

Looks like March 29 is the next one. I'll try to post a direct link later.

Here's the link: http://www.mccneb.edu/ce/classresults.asp Not working for some reason but you can go to the Spring CE page (here I think: http://www.mccneb.edu/ce/classselect...ypeofclass=ALL), click on Green Living/Sustainability in the first box, and it should take you there.
                        Last edited by gn83tm; 02-12-2014, 09:03 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by gn83tm View Post
                          Looks like March 29 is the next one. I'll try to post a direct link later.
                          Thanks! That took me right to it! Looks like good stuff, I'll talk to my wife about registering. Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                          X