How to or how not to make bloodbait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures How to or how not to make bloodbait

This was my first attempt. Never used the stuff before, never seen the stuff before. Unfortunately I never got to use any since I forgot swivels and a piece of wire. The hooking method is you use a swivel and treble hook. Unhook your treble hook and use a stiff wire to poke through the blood bait. Pull the hook into the blood bait until you can hook the treble back onto the swivel. Don't cast the blood bait just drop it off the side of the boat and drift. Minus the wire and swivel you are screwed! There might be a really hot cat bite at Summit next to the boat dock without a ramp:icon_rolleyes:. I'm betting it would of worked really good. But here is how I made mine.

Find a source for blood:eusa_shhh: M_eusa_silenced:M_eusa_silenced:. Let it congeal/coagulate in a cooler.

Slice it into rings. I bought some foil pans at the dollar store.

I let mine set out in he sun for a hour after putting my seasoning on them. Garlic, Salt, Anise oil. Brown sugar is also something that is used often but I did not use any.

Seasoned in the sun. Yummy!

I chilled them down again. My freezer was full since I just had a hog delivered. I would recommend freezing then cutting into cubes. That was not a option for me.

Cutting into cubes. Freeze when done.

Last edited by MA Machine; 09-13-2010, 08:49 AM.

The only 2 things keeping me from going pro are skill and luck.

You know you could have asked, Pretty sure we had swivels and leaders...probably would have worked...looks pretty gross! LOL There's a place on 46thish and Fst in Omaha, to get your base, if you don't have the means yourself...LOL, and if you want to try it...I never have but I've known people who have. Let us know when you actually get to use it!!!
    "Releasing a big fish always puts a smile on my face" Jim Buckley
    The greatest catch of my life, June 1, 2013

Comment

I tried it on a smaller scale this summer MA.

Only I left mine out in the sun for a day or two.

It was hard like jerky, and held on circle hook just fine. But I had to cut it with the scissors in my gerber fishing plier multi tool.

I kept pace with the local kids using bluegill heads the night I tried it out at our muni pond.

I will be trying it again.
      Peace and Love

Comment

I'll try it again taking a little more time to dry it out like you did. I think it's promising, I just wasn't prepared to get it done the way I wanted to do it.

Comment

MMMMMMMMM jello!
          Lidičky j� m�m r�d pivo!

Comment

Oh yea, I put strawberry jello in it. thanks for reminding me.

Comment

Interesting. Beef blood, pork blood or other? Is the finished product fiborus like a clot or more gelatinous?

Thanks for sharing....I think....:eusa_sick:

Slim

Comment

Beef blood. Pretty soild like skinned over tough jello

Comment

I worked for American Stores in Lincoln for several years and one of my jobs was to open the lungs and wash them. The blood clots in the lungs was very good bait and stayed on the hook real good. It was very fibrous. If you know someone working in a packing house and could get some try it.

Comment

Rob, A friend showed me this a few years ago, and he used a short leader of 100# braided dacron tied to the treble hook, and a loop on the other end to make it easier to attach to the snap. Word of warning, make sure your pole is well anchored when using this, cats will flat smash it; no messin' around!
                    Cleaning Trash Fish FromThe Pit, One State Record At A Time

Comment

I've had good luck using carp blood and guts. I bow fish so i usually have some carp handy... go to wallyworld and pick up a supercheap blender, bleed and gut the carp MINUS the stomach or at least cut it and empty it out first, blend this up with a little jello then proceed to season and dry it as desired. If you happen to be browning some hamburger or any other greasy meat you can let the grease cool off and add this to the blend mixture as well, I think it helps the mixture retain some scent for longer in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X