Small engine problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Needed Small engine problem

Any small engine wizards out there? I have a pressure washer that is approx 5 yrs old. Never had any trouble before. First time out this year, it will not start. Put in a new sparkplug although the old one did have spark. I took the carb off and cleaned it real good. Still won't start. It is a 6hp Briggs and Stratton. I squirt starting fluid in the carb and it starts for a second then dies. Any suggestions??? :xIDunno:

not certain if this will apply to your engine, but...

does the carb sit on top of the gas tank? If so, there is a rubber diaphragm between the carb and the tank. If this diaphragm gets a pin hole leak it will not suck gas up into the carb.

Another trick I have used for hard starting engines is to screw the needle valve in until it bottoms. Be gentle and do not crush the needle valve into its seat. Then back off 2.5 turns. If the engines starts you will have to wait until it warms up and then readjust the needle to get maximum rpm.

You talked about cleaning the carb I'll assume you cleaned the air filter too.

I have no more ideas if it still does not start.

Comment

This is not your case, but this year I forgot that my power sprayer engine had a gas shut-off and remembered after I got a good workout pulling the starting cord for about 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by fishnguy View Post
        This is not your case, but this year I forgot that my power sprayer engine had a gas shut-off and remembered after I got a good workout pulling the starting cord for about 10 minutes.
        Are we related? :xGoofey:
        �I think every happy memory plucks a hair from your head; if you see an old bald guy, he�s probably had a great life.� �-Red Green

Comment

I know that you said that you cleaned the carb., but try again and especially clean the jet. A thin diameter wire ran through it and then sprayed out with carb spray. You will have to remove the bowl from the carb and the jet should be at the top inside of there. Gas left in an engine varnishes up and cloggs the jet not allowing the engine to start.

Comment

Did you drain the tank and put fresh gas in? I know this sounds stupid, but small engines are temperamental to old fuel. Learned this the hard way. :zbangingHead:
            </IMG>
            Cleaning Trash Fish FromThe Pit, One State Record At A Time

Comment

Sometimes the adjusting screw on your carb. gets knocked around and needs adjusting again. either that or your gas line could be pluged, those would be my guess.
              Whackin' Woodies Waterfowl Crew

"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."
              - Murphy's Laws of Combat

Comment

I have had similar problem with mowers and snow blowers. As a kiddo, we always bought used equipment. You never know how the previous owner cared for the tools.

A number of times, the fuel line was gummed up or blocked. I just got a nice new piece for a few cents at an ACE or AutoZone. Just a hint... hope that it all works out.
                "Maybe you can get in there and find his big fat girlfriend!" -Terry

Comment

Working...
                X