Heat pump and furnace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Heat pump and furnace

Does anyone know about how much a new heat pump (15 seer with the new R410a coolant) and a 80% efficient furnace should run? We got a quote of $8,700 to install both of them and a new touchscreen programable themostat that controls humidity levels in the house. Not much of a HVAC guy, any thoughts would be great.

I am no expert but if your going to spend that much, I would first look into geo thermal. Good luck

Comment

it can vary a lot depending on sq. footage and brand name, get at least 3 bids and make sure they are all installing comparable units. I had bids $2000 apart when I replaced my furnace A/C last year

Comment

I only got two bids. One was from the owner of a reputable company that is good friends with a guy I work with that could cut me a deal. He said he could go $2,000 less but couldn't get me the warenty I was getting, nor was it with the newer R-410a refrigerant. I'm getting lifetime warenty on the condenser coil, 10 years parts and labor on heat pump and furnace. Thanks for the advice guys. Oh and by the way, it's a 2 1/2 ton heat pump unit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDean View Post
          I am no expert but if your going to spend that much, I would first look into geo thermal. Good luck
          :aayeahthat:

We had a geo-thermal loop back in Indiana, and that was an impressive system. We could have left our AC off all day on a day like today and had the house back down to 72 degrees in about 10 minutes. Uber efficient, too.
          Oh man! I just shot Marvin in the face!

Comment

I am not a professional but....

in June of 2006 I had a Bryant system installed in my small home. I got a 92% efficient furnace and a 13 SEER air conditioner with the 410a refrigerant. The cost was about $4200-$4300. They removed my old one and installed the new one. No change in thermostat but it did include a new hot air plenum, a new cold air return, and the outside disconnect switch. There was no other change in the ducts.

The size of your home will make a difference. If you really want to know I can look up the BTU output of both the heating and cooling systems. I know it made a big difference in my gas bill. I could look up the actual numbers if you would want them.

Maybe because it is a heat pump 80% is all it can do but I think with Nebraska's winters you would be better served with a 92% or higher furnace.

Comment

Originally posted by DingerFlinger View Post
              I only got two bids. One was from the owner of a reputable company that is good friends with a guy I work with that could cut me a deal. He said he could go $2,000 less but couldn't get me the warenty I was getting, nor was it with the newer R-410a refrigerant. I'm getting lifetime warenty on the condenser coil, 10 years parts and labor on heat pump and furnace. Thanks for the advice guys. Oh and by the way, it's a 2 1/2 ton heat pump unit.
              I would double check your warrenty quotes. Ive been doing HVAC for 22 years and havent heard of 10 years on parts and labor and a lifetime on the coil. If you want send me a PM and i'll come out and take a look and maybe give u a quote. Those prices seem kinda high for a 2 1/2 ton system. Also the new 410A is'nt all its cracked up to be.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick101 View Post
                I would double check your warrenty quotes. Ive been doing HVAC for 22 years and havent heard of 10 years on parts and labor and a lifetime on the coil.. Those prices seem kinda high for a 2 1/2 ton system. Also the new 410A is'nt all its cracked up to be.
                Very good advice there! My opinion (mine alone), 410a isn't all that it's cracked up to be, but R22 will be fazed out in 2010. Projected consumer cost by 2012 of R22 could be as high as $600 a pound.

Heat pumps, have mixed feelings on these. Compressors in heat pumps are the same as compressors in air conditioners. Heat pump compressors are forced to run in adverse conditions/cold conditions and run almost twice as much as a normal air conditioner.

My opinion again: Spend the money on the most efficient furnace ( up to 97% now) and go more efficient on the air conditioner ( 15 seer and up). You'll be money ahead in the long run.

Oh! and don't by squat without a warranty

Just my $.02
                Ask me about microwaving cats: for fun and for profit!!!

Taste it monkey, tell me if it's a shiitake!

Comment

Originally posted by Bennington Bandit View Post
                  Very good advice there! My opinion (mine alone), 410a isn't all that it's cracked up to be, but R22 will be fazed out in 2010. Projected consumer cost by 2012 of R22 could be as high as $600 a pound.
                  By then they will have a blend that will be compatable with R-22. I also agree about the heat pumps. The only reason there so popular is the rebates they give with them. I go on more service calls in the winter for heat pumps then on furnances. Alot of the complaints is the air comming out of the registers is'nt that hot, heat pumps push a luke warm air which tends to make them run longer to get to the set point of the t-stat. Now if it takes something almost twice as long to warm your house how is that going to save you money? Plus the parts to fix a heat pump is not cheap. I know warrenty will cover parts but you have parts in a heat pump that takes a few hours to fix, guess who pays the hourly rate?

Comment

Working...
                  X