Boat decking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Boat decking

The deck (that would be "floor" to you landlubbers M_boat went soft in my '89 Pro-V. You would think it an easy R&R since, being a tiller steer, the deck is a single rectangular sheet or 5/8" marine grade plywood.

The problem... what I took out measures 47" x 114"... Just where in Sam Hill does one find a sheet of plywood 9 1/2' long? :xhuh:

I'm not too keen on the idea of splicing two partials together, as I am afraid the joint would be a weak spot, even if positioned over a stringer, as that would mean sinking a double row of screws, with the distinct possibility of blowing out the edge of the plywood... not much better than having no joint at all! Besides that, I don't want to buy a full $60 sheet of plywood when I only need 18"!

Open to any/all suggestions or resources available. Thanks, Gadget
    "Give a man a fish... he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish... he will spend every dime he makes on uber tackle!"

Might try calling some of the lumber yards (smaller ones, NOT Home Depot, Lowes etc). I know I have seen 12' sections.

I want to say my old man bought some 12 footers from Earl Carter when he did his boat, but that was YEARS ago. Many of the smaller yards will help you locate specialty pieces.

Comment

Not sure about 10' marine plywood, but you can get standard plywood in most lumber yards at that length, perhaps treat it your self.
      No vegetables were harmed in the feeding of this human.

Comment

If you do end up joining 2 pieces here is a good way to do it.
        Scarf Joint
        If you want the 10' you can find it thru a supplier of wooden boat building materials. i hear the shipping is expensive. You can also just seal the edges with fiberglass and epoxy. See what kind of plywood? FAQ
        I redid a ski boat once that all of the underneath support and seats were also rotten.

Comment

Thank-you! I had forgotten about the scarf joint... the bevel allowing for 3 times the surface area for the glued joint as would a butt joint... and it's stronger than a butt joint even with a splice underneath.

What type of glue would be the best choice for a damp environment? After all, boat decks do get wet! Gadget
          "Give a man a fish... he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish... he will spend every dime he makes on uber tackle!"

Comment

Epoxy is what they use to make scarf joints in boat building. I would try that.

Comment

One thing that I was thinking of doing was replacing the deck with Trex. And just not use carpet. Would sure be simple to keep clean. I would think that 2x4 treated lumber could be used as stringers. Cut 47" long and clipped side by side on 10' stringers. They come in colors that could be like gray carpet or better still a wood color. But in my case I just bought a newer boat.:boat:

Trex Decking: The Complete Color Palette - Full Range of Rich Colors
              If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
              Henry David Thoreau

Comment

We used to special order 10' long finished grade plywood out of someplace in Colorado, although I can't think of the name right now. I'm sure someone makes 4'x 10' plywood sheets but I am guessing it is pricey!!!!! :wSick:
                Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

Originally posted by MURF View Post
                  One thing that I was thinking of doing was replacing the deck with Trex. And just not use carpet. Would sure be simple to keep clean. I would think that 2x4 treated lumber could be used as stringers. Cut 47" long and clipped side by side on 10' stringers. They come in colors that could be like gray carpet or better still a wood color. But in my case I just bought a newer boat.:boat:

Trex Decking: The Complete Color Palette - Full Range of Rich Colors
                  I built 16' worth of 6' privacy fence out of Trex about a month and a half ago. Wicked expensive. WICKED expensive.
                  Oh man! I just shot Marvin in the face!

Comment

Working...
                  X