Need advice on installing privacy fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree

I agree with Magnus. Used to work at a lumberyard that sold both panels and pickets. Although cheaper to buy the panels, they are thinner pickets and very poorly fastened. The pickets will start to curl on you in a very short period of time. I would definitely recommend putting the fence up picket by picket.

Comment

Ty...if you need advice, just shoot me a pm and get my number or something...this is kinda my thing.
      Oh man! I just shot Marvin in the face!

Comment

I am also looking into building a privacy fence. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on building the gate(s). Are there kits available or is it just easier to purchase the pre-built units?

Comment

Originally posted by magnusthebigbrownlab View Post
          48" down? Jesus...overkill. An 8" by 30" slug with 24-27" of post in the ground is more than sufficient.
          Seriously I couldnt believe it but our city code is 42" and they suggested closer to 48". I was like WTF.

Oh well I used a power auger so it didnt really mean that much work but yea those 10ft 4x4s arent going anywhere. HAHA

I pretty much got half it done. Didnt work on it since thursday due to having lots of friends that like to party for the 4th. Ill probably get back on her on Wed when im off work again.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Comment

Camp-n-Fish,
            There are kits available.I got one from Home Depot that is basically the metal corner supports(keeps the gate from sagging),and hinges but it comes with instructions on how to measure for the 2x4s and how much space to leave,etc.Great little kit.

Alex
            They have cometh

Comment

If you are that deep on your holes, the post really shouldn't heave much anyway. If I were building a fence I would make the holes at least 48" and pour the concrete to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
                Camp-n-Fish,
                There are kits available.I got one from Home Depot that is basically the metal corner supports(keeps the gate from sagging),and hinges but it comes with instructions on how to measure for the 2x4s and how much space to leave,etc.Great little kit.

Alex
                Alex - Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                X