Boat Travel Cover Support Bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Needed Boat Travel Cover Support Bows

I have been debating the value of using a couple of boat travel cover support bows under my travel cover. There are two spots where the support would relieve cover stress and eliminate potential water spots.

My findings have been this is a ridiculously expensive accessory. Per the link below, wooden bows are cheap and don't work well (well cheap if you think $11.00 for an 84" wooden slat is cheap!)

The fiber glass versions are, get this $19 to $22 for each 1/8" x 84" length. Highway robbery!

Here is an example of what I am talking about: Cabela's -- Adjustable Wood Boat Cover Support Bows

I have an idea to use 3/4 inch PVC pipes, cut them to 86" (the length I need to form the bow, add to each end of the 84" length a tee fitting and each way from the tee, 6" of pipe each way (at 90 degrees to the 84" length). When wedged into the inside corners where the boat meets the rod lockers (just under the gunnel, the bow is formed).

The 90 degree tee's keep the bow from rotating front to back, and the pvc, while not super strong, is much stronger then the wooden versions and less flimsy than 1/8 " fiber glass strips.

Total cost: $5 to $6 bucks! Not perfect, no edges to futher wear the tarp and if they break, no big deal.

Here are my questions;

Have any of you out there found a better solution which is quick and easy to store, put in place, and hold your cover to your satisfaction?

Is there an under cover bow support out there that is high quality, stronger and cheaper than wood or fiberglass slats? If not cheaper, worth the money?

I want it for trailering, so I am not real hot on the center pole and strap cover supports, although not having used one, am open to suggestions.

Ideas appreciated. I just don't feel paying the boating accessories bandits $50 for wooden or fiber glass slats that I am going to break in the first big wind or every season.

Craig
    "Wherever you go, there you are."

boat supports

almost exactly what I have done and have had no problems
    a lot cheaper than those slats and easy to put on.
    basically I have on "T" on the front and one in the back both are located
    on the seat pedastals. what I have done is to run a piece of conduit down through the holes on the pedastal bases that seems to give the PVC more support. The "arms" of the T extend a couple of feet in both directions. I leave them on for trailering and have had no problems and they are left to support the boat tarp throughout the winter. A couple of times I have had to replace and arm where the glue has failed but no big deal

Comment

Looks good

I built three bows tonight and tarped the boat. They look like they will work. $8.00 for the 3/4" PVC, $3.00 for the tee's. 3 rigid and smooth bows for the price of one wood slat or for half the cost of one fiberglass slat.

The tarp and my side tie downs will not let them rotate so we are going to give it a go next time out
      "Wherever you go, there you are."

Comment

I have used a 6" wide strip ripped from a sheet of 1/4" plywood. Haven't used them on the road. Mainly because I have too much junk in the boat to be adding the strips when at the water. Only for storage to keep rain and snow off. Would think they'd be alright on the road. Bend and place under the gunnels.
        If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
        Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Do either of you have pics of this pvc setup in place?

Comment

Just saw this ad in Menards Menards.com - Weekly Ad

$6.49 for 8"x16' siding. one cut and you have two bows to fit under the gunnels. Keeps the cover rounded to keep rain - snow off.
            If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
            Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
            X