Gum-Drop Floater Fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gum-Drop Floater Fly

I went to Wally World to pick up some of those boxes that VREntropy posted (he told me in advance, so this was a few days ago). While I was looking through the fishing section (I never go to the craft section) I saw these:

I thought, well, they float and there is nothing else on the hook. It also crossed my mind that the "gummy" feel may stay in the fishes mouth a bit longer than a traditional fly.

I am excited for some top-water action and so I decided to grab a package of the Size 4 floaters and tie up some slider/popper-style flies.

Here is what they look like outta the box:

Here's what my flies looked like(the wife has the "nice" camera):

The eyes fell off the orange one when I gave it a squeeze. I figure it's nothing a Sharpie can't fix.

I am sure that I am not the first to give this a shot. I did feel that it was worth sharing for those that tie flies or jigs. The package shows them being fished on the bottom tipped with minnows or worms. I think I may try them on top and maybe add a split shot or two to fish them in the water column.

I will let you all know how they fish and hopefully how they catch too. If for some reason the feathers are too long, I can always cut them off and leave the gummy head; just tie on some new materials after that.

Scott
    "Maybe you can get in there and find his big fat girlfriend!" -Terry

Looks good, Scott!

Comment

Interesting, Scott. How high does it ride in the water, relative to the eye of the hook? Any practical way to flatten part of its face so it would "chug" on each strip?

Also, what sizes did you see? Anything smaller than fours?

(Be warned that publicly admitting to fly fishing anything plastic from Wal-Mart might remove you from Vrentropy's Christmas card list. Didn't they have any specific matched-pair of breast feathers from a rare English partridge? :wRazzing: )
      �I think every happy memory plucks a hair from your head; if you see an old bald guy, he�s probably had a great life.� �-Red Green

Comment

Originally posted by OldBaldGuy View Post
        (Be warned that publicly admitting to fly fishing anything plastic from Wal-Mart might remove you from Vrentropy's Christmas card list. Didn't they have any specific matched-pair of breast feathers from a rare English partridge? :wRazzing: )
        Looks an awful lot like these:

And I can put them on whatever hook I find. . . . .

Oh, these are on the way to Coug and Ty if Scott will ever do his part. :wRazzing:

Besides, Scott was eliminated from my Christmas list a LOOOOOOONG time ago. :eusa_whistle:

Those all look great! I can't wait for a report on how they function. Once the weeds start to grow out there where you been wading for crappie, they should be killer for the Bass in the same area!! :ayes:
        :flyman:

Oh, it's also nice to see you using those grab bag flies!!

Don Rolfson

"The problem with doing nothing is that it is so very hard to tell when you are done!" -- unknown

"No grudge ever had a better nurse." -- Peace Like A River - Leif Enger

Comment

Very interesting, Scott - nice ties, great idea.

Please post how they fish! I bet they'll fish like a slider, and that's got my attention.

How long is your finished fly?
          NEFGA is endorsed by Recycled Fish

You can be a Fish Recycler too...let 'em swim.
          Recycled Fish

Comment

Scott, did you ever try these out? How did they work? :xhuh:
            "Buster here wants to fish"

Comment

Yeah, any success in fishing with these?
              There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.

Comment

Tell us!
                Prop me up inside the goose blind if I die, Fill my boots up with sand, throw my Benelli Nova in my hand, Lord I wanna go to Heaven but I don't wanna go this winter...

Comment

They probably work great - that's why he won't tell us!! He's Bogarting all the fish!!M_SS_buttkick:
                  "Buster here wants to fish"

Comment

I use those floating heads for my favorite catfish pattern;

The Floatdog.

:shock:

They make another type that is a bigger, stouter hook and a hard foam head that has a lot more float to it. Those gummy types come in at least two sizes.
                    Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

Working...
                    X