Rick's simple ant FOTW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick's simple ant FOTW

Have any of the fly fishermen on this board bought the non-skid rubber mats Rick Ziegler used for his FAOL fly-of-the-week pattern last week? I want to try that pattern, preferably in black, but can't justify spending $5 at Menards to tie a half dozen and then have enough material left over to tie 500 more! :D If we could get organized a little, each of us could buy a different color and swap colors among us...
    �I think every happy memory plucks a hair from your head; if you see an old bald guy, he�s probably had a great life.� �-Red Green

I have some cream squares left over from our drawers. I just have to find them and see if they are salvageable.
    "Maybe you can get in there and find his big fat girlfriend!" -Terry

Comment

Nope. I looked at some the other day, but didn't oull the trigger.

Maybe the cream would be the best. Then you can 'customize' it with sharpies to whatever color you desire.

Don Rolfson

"The problem with doing nothing is that it is so very hard to tell when you are done!" -- unknown

"No grudge ever had a better nurse." -- Peace Like A River - Leif Enger

Comment

I'm pretty stubborn. I think all ants and beetles are black until proven otherwise. :lol: So while I was out buying the brownie mix for tonight's youth instructor class, I swung by Lowe's and bought the roll of black. You guys, and any of the other tyers here on the Forum, are welcome to some of it. As it is now, I have about a 150-year supply... :icon_rolleyes:
        �I think every happy memory plucks a hair from your head; if you see an old bald guy, he�s probably had a great life.� �-Red Green

Comment

Well, Rick's fly works, even if I did tie it wrong. :lol: My #12 Gamakatsus made it sink (!), but it still caught the first 10 'gills this afternoon in about 45 minutes.

Seriously, anyone who wants some of that material should contact me. After a second look at the roll, I've decided it's closer to a 500-year supply.

Comment

I saw that. I tried a couple of them put the material I used wasn't good material. If you find yourself with too much you can pm me OBG.
            Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

I wouldn't mind getting some.

I agree the all beetles are black until proven otherwise. But they do have some irridesence (sp) so I like to throw in some peac0ck herl when I tie them. . . . .

Don Rolfson

"The problem with doing nothing is that it is so very hard to tell when you are done!" -- unknown

"No grudge ever had a better nurse." -- Peace Like A River - Leif Enger

Comment

Don, on the rare occasions with SKershaw "works," he puts in his time Thursday evenings at the pharmacy in my neighborhood. Since he seems to see you more often than I do, I'll try to catch up with him there later today and drop off a slice for each of you.

Any of you tyers from out of town who'd like to try some can contact me by PM and follow up with a self-addressed stamped envelope. Or just write your name and address on the back of a $50 bill...

Comment

Hmmm, I would maybe try some. Personally, I like the stack of fifty 9x6" squares of different colored foam sold at craft stores for $3.99. Huge supply of various shades of the color wheel.
                  "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Bum View Post
                    Hmmm, I would maybe try some. Personally, I like the stack of fifty 9x6" squares of different colored foam sold at craft stores for $3.99. Huge supply of various shades of the color wheel.
                    TB, the reason the pattern is so simple is it uses the beaded "non-slip" foam sheets made for tool boxes and drawers, not regular 2 mm craft foam. The ant body and thorax are represented by any two connected beads. It works so well because the fish, accustomed to insects with a head, body, and thorax, count only two bulges and realize that bugs without a head are easier to assault. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! :xGoofey:

Comment

Originally posted by OldBaldGuy View Post
                      TB, the reason the pattern is so simple is it uses the beaded "non-slip" foam sheets made for tool boxes and drawers, not regular 2 mm craft foam. The ant body and thorax are represented by any two connected beads. It works so well because the fish, accustomed to insects with a head, body, and thorax, count only two bulges and realize that bugs without a head are easier to assault. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! :xGoofey:
                      I see... sounds good to me!
                      "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Comment

Working...
                      X