Lures, winter project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures Lures, winter project

Here are a couple of pictures of some surface lures I made this winter. Now just waiting for the water to warm up a bit more so the bass will be active on top. I would like to make them a bit fancier, but I don't have an air brush...yet!

Wow. Nice paint jobs!! I'm more surprised about them being prop baits. I've got some in my box, but I can't ever get the blades tuned to my liking
    " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

Originally posted by Val Didrichsons View Post
      Wow. Nice paint jobs!! I'm more surprised about them being prop baits. I've got some in my box, but I can't ever get the blades tuned to my liking

Thanks! I make my own prop baits because I can get them tuned to work properly. Some times it takes a while to get the props tweaked correctly so that they work as they should, especially on store bought ones. Putting a little bushing in the center of the prop makes them turn much better. If you know what the old South Bend Nippi-Diddee and Spini-Diddee props were like, you will know what kind of bushing I am talking about. Some of the ones I make have props with bushings, some don't. They all work pretty good. With my tools it is a major project make the bushings and to put the bushings in the props. I made some similar lures last winter too and caught bass on each of them last year.

If you noticed, one of the lures has double instead of treble hooks on it. In 'weedy' conditions the double hooks will get pushed up against the body of the lure and usually don't get hung up the way treble hooks do. I don't notice missing very many strikes using the double hooks during the daylight hours. Also on the very dark and black lures that I fish mostly at night, I put on bigger treble hooks. When I fish at night I am not fishing any weedy areas (usually shallow areas over large weed beds) and find that the larger hooks give me a better hooking percentage in the dark. If the fish hits close, he is hooked, most times.

Comment

Very nice craftsmanship! Almost to nice to use!

Comment

Working...
        X