Ruger American 300 Win Mag loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger American 300 Win Mag loads

My son in-law has a Ruger American in 300 Win Mag and have had less than average accuracy with 165 gr bullets and 71 gr of IMR 4831. Anyone have any accuracy Hunting loads with this gun they would like to share? Thanks in advance.

What bullet? Primer? C.O.A.L? He is loading towards the bottom end of the powder charge. Has he tried doing a ladder test( load 5 rounds in .2 gr increments up to max load) to find an accuracy node? I have found best accuracy “usually”(every gun is different) is usually around 1 gr below max to max.

Comment

Originally posted by Torino View Post
      What bullet? Primer? C.O.A.L? He is loading towards the bottom end of the powder charge. Has he tried doing a ladder test( load 5 rounds in .2 gr increments up to max load) to find an accuracy node? I have found best accuracy “usually”(every gun is different) is usually around 1 gr below max to max.
      That. x100
      Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

After a little research the Ruger American in 300 win mag has a 1 in 10 twist. After trying Hornady ELD bullets in 178 gr and 200 gr the gun has been very accurate out to 300 yds. Lesson learned, match the barrel twist to the ammo you are shooting.

Comment

Yes there are times where you have to try different powders and bullets to get a rifle to print a good group. May even have to play with seating depth of the bullet.

Comment

Working...
          X