10 Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Nebraska Guy View Post
    Ya know...I didn't want to tick anyone off or start a fight over my first post. All I wanted to say was 10 gauges are powerful and are probably best suited for high flying dark geese. People that own them don't probably use them for everything, they could, but there are other gauges the work for different game. A mag-10 weighs about 11 pounds. That's a lot to carry all day through the CRP ground chasing quail so people don't. I mean they could if they wanted to.
    If you've got one and like it all I can say is have fun and enjoy.
    I'm not sure you upset anyone, least of all me. I was just sharing my experiences.

Trust me, I've humped it many of miles with that Mag-10. Loaded it weighs about double what my upland shotgun weighs. Good thing I keep in shape so I can handle it.

To the OP, I've never heard that 10s are a highly sought after item. To the contrary, I've heard that with the invention of the 3 1/2" 12 ga. the 10 is going by the way side. Could be a new trend that im not aware of, since I bought my 10 about 10 years ago.

Comment

I was in a blind once at daybreak sitting next to a guy that had a Spanish double 10 ga. I'm not a duck hunter so I never saw the first flight of teal come screaming in, but he did. He stood up in the half-dark and double tapped that thing. I imagine that being in the USS Iowa during live fire could not have been a whole lot different than being in that blind at that moment. I actually felt the concussion blasts hit my chest. I swear the fire jumped out of the barrels at least 20 feet, headed right at the whistling flock. I fully expected a couple of those ducks to just burst into flames in mid-air. The birds were very low and his patterns hit the water about 40 yards out. It was very impressive. I think he could have easily sunk a bass boat at that distance with one barrel. I never asked to fire it.
      Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

Originally posted by Catfishsteve View Post
        I was in a blind once at daybreak sitting next to a guy that had a Spanish double 10 ga. I'm not a duck hunter so I never saw the first flight of teal come screaming in, but he did. He stood up in the half-dark and double tapped that thing. I imagine that being in the USS Iowa during live fire could not have been a whole lot different than being in that blind at that moment. I actually felt the concussion blasts hit my chest. I swear the fire jumped out of the barrels at least 20 feet, headed right at the whistling flock. I fully expected a couple of those ducks to just burst into flames in mid-air. The birds were very low and his patterns hit the water about 40 yards out. It was very impressive. I think he could have easily sunk a bass boat at that distance with one barrel. I never asked to fire it.
        🤣 .

Comment

Originally posted by Harold View Post

Says the man that spends more money on his "pellet guns" than I have on my 10 ga! HA!

H
          For those "young pups" that don't have a clue:

Click image for larger version

Name:	th?id=OIP.cBYjTnc2Dazug188krif9AHaD3&pid=15.1&P=0&w=344&h=181.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1222692
          I had heard of a punt gun, but I guess I didn’t realize what one was. After looking them up, I can only imagine Elmer Fudd using one...

Thanks for the history lesson!

Comment

• Harold
            Harold commented
            Editing a comment
            ...with that "cwazy wabbit" standing on a short ladder behind him. "Shoot when his eyes poke outta the hole!"

Had a bps 10 for many years. Just sold it this spring. Always hand loaded for it ,13/8 oz of 3's hammered ducks. Turkeys bowled over with a 1 3/4 oz load of hevishot 6's and cut the wad to have two petals. With the extra gun weight it was milder on the shoulder than a light weight 3" 12 gauge.

Comment

Working...
          X