10 Gauge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Gauge

Does anyone have/use a 10 gauge? My dad is trading one in for a new rifle. He was hoping to just get a little bit for it but the guy at the gun store got really excited and said there is a relatively high demand for them. I was surprised to hear that. I don’t know if that’s because there are only a couple models in production or if there is some sort of renaissance and people are using them more.

I've got a Browning Gold 10 ga s-a that I rarely use but will never sell!

Something about just having one!
    Report Fish/Game Violations:
    1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

10 gauge has gone the way of the punt gun

Comment

• Harold
        Harold commented
        Editing a comment
        HA!
        It IS a "Blind" gun, no doubt, but one can "sling" it and not require assistants to "raise and follow through"!

I added a "Hollowsight" and an aftermarket choke that pulverizes a Mountain Dew can at 70 paces!

• WyoHunter
        WyoHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a good coyote gun Harold.

Once I started to shoot better in my early 20s, I left the 10 gauge at home more and more often until I got to the point I never used it. I sold mine 20 years ago and don't plan to ever own another. I do know a guy who has one- I'll pass the info along. Thanks.

Comment

Also have a browning gold semi that I barely use anymore but will not part with most likely.

Comment

I'll ramble on with a few thoughts about the 10 gauge based on a few friends and no real evidence.

At one time almost every serious waterfowler had a 10 gauge on their wish list, think Ithaca Mag-10. A few got their wish and after a season or two they fell into two camps. The first thought they were the best thing since sliced bread and the others realized that the gun will literally knock the snot out of you and maybe it was better to not be throwing 1.625 oz (nontoxic)/2 oz (lead) downrange and switched to something milder.

The 10 gauge really works but there is a price to pay beside ammunition costs. I just checked and the current price of turkey (lead) loads is about $2 a round while nontoxic is generally more than $30 a box. Not an ideal price when you are trying to knock down a 100 snow geese a day.

Comment

• Harold
            Harold commented
            Editing a comment
            With all due respect, I'll use my 26" improved cylinder Remington 1100 Semi-Auto with #6 steel when hunting snow grouse. Plug pulled!

Dropping a lone Canada Large at 60 yards with my 10ga set-up is equally exhilarating! My shells come in 10 packs. NONE wasted "skybusting", either!

Originally posted by SoDak Jay View Post
          Does anyone have/use a 10 gauge? My dad is trading one in for a new rifle. He was hoping to just get a little bit for it but the guy at the gun store got really excited and said there is a relatively high demand for them. I was surprised to hear that. I don’t know if that’s because there are only a couple models in production or if there is some sort of renaissance and people are using them more.
          What kind does he have? I have a browning BPS that I use for geese.

Comment

Originally posted by hottdogg View Post

What kind does he have? I have a browning BPS that I use for geese.
            I don’t know. It’s been a safe queen since he bought a Super Black Eagle. It’s a semi-auto and I think it’s either a Browning or Remington.

This is has been an interesting read. I figured the 10 went the way of the dodo bird when 3.5” 12 became available. Sounds like there are some still kicking around.

Comment

Originally posted by uglymike View Post
              10 gauge has gone the way of the punt gun
              Says the man that spends more money on his "pellet guns" than I have on my 10 ga! HA!

H
              For those "young pups" that don't have a clue:

Click image for larger version

Name:	th?id=OIP.cBYjTnc2Dazug188krif9AHaD3&pid=15.1&P=0&w=344&h=181.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1222692
              Report Fish/Game Violations:
              1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Originally posted by Harold View Post

Says the man that spends more money on his "pellet guns" than I have on my 10 ga! HA!

H
                For those "young pups" that don't have a clue:

Click image for larger version  Name:	th?id=OIP.cBYjTnc2Dazug188krif9AHaD3&pid=15.1&P=0&w=344&h=181.jpg Views:	24 Size:	10.0 KB ID:	1222692
                A true punt gun Harold, thanks for educating the masses. My great uncle made a livin' as a market waterfowl hunter for a few years. Raised and sold American Water Spaniels and used punt guns to earn a paycheck. Feds outlawed that and then he went to moonshinin'. True story.

Comment

Punt...a small flat bottomed boat developed in England

Punt Gun...a shotgun too large to be shoulder fired, see above. Mounted in a punt, foreend supported in a yoke or pintle and the rear, may have the appearance of a stock and maybe not, set against rope or lines attached to the punt so that the boat absorbs the recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Nebraska Guy View Post
                    I'll ramble on with a few thoughts about the 10 gauge based on a few friends and no real evidence.

At one time almost every serious waterfowler had a 10 gauge on their wish list, think Ithaca Mag-10. A few got their wish and after a season or two they fell into two camps. The first thought they were the best thing since sliced bread and the others realized that the gun will literally knock the snot out of you and maybe it was better to not be throwing 1.625 oz (nontoxic)/2 oz (lead) downrange and switched to something milder.

The 10 gauge really works but there is a price to pay beside ammunition costs. I just checked and the current price of turkey (lead) loads is about $2 a round while nontoxic is generally more than $30 a box. Not an ideal price when you are trying to knock down a 100 snow geese a day.
                    I've got a Mag-10 Supreme/Deluxe and like it quite a bit.

The only time I ever thought that recoil was heavier than my 12 gauge was when I was shooting targets while being hungover over one morning. Other than that, the recoil has never been an issue when hunting.

I probably wouldn't take it snow goose hunting for a variety of reasons, but I've had it in a waterfowl blind and I love it for turkeys. It doesn't swing quite as well my little 12 gauge, but I've plowed flying turkeys with it.

I have no plans on getting rid of it.

Comment

• KD
                      KD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Also, as far a shell prices are concerned, I guess I haven't noticed a huge difference between 10 ga. and 3 1/2 12 ga.

Originally posted by SoDak Jay View Post
                    Guns Unlimited has two used Browning BPS with 28 barrels in the $550-600 range. Tried to trade in my BPS gold (engraving with geese on one side and turkey on the other) was offered $310, had box all choke tubes perfect condition and probably less than 200 shells fired. No thanks I will keep it paid $700 in 1995 no way it lost value. Appraisal was Scheels and Cabelas. I know they need to make money but not at my expense.

Comment

Ya know...I didn't want to tick anyone off or start a fight over my first post. All I wanted to say was 10 gauges are powerful and are probably best suited for high flying dark geese. People that own them don't probably use them for everything, they could, but there are other gauges the work for different game. A mag-10 weighs about 11 pounds. That's a lot to carry all day through the CRP ground chasing quail so people don't. I mean they could if they wanted to.
                      If you've got one and like it all I can say is have fun and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post

Guns Unlimited has two used Browning BPS with 28 barrels in the $550-600 range. Tried to trade in my BPS gold (engraving with geese on one side and turkey on the other) was offered $310, had box all choke tubes perfect condition and probably less than 200 shells fired. No thanks I will keep it paid $700 in 1995 no way it lost value. Appraisal was Scheels and Cabelas. I know they need to make money but not at my expense.
                        I would never do any business with those lowlife hypocritical crooks from GU.

You'd be better off selling it yourself than trade it to those *******.

Comment

• Lenny
                          Lenny commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I actually do very little business with them. They are usually a last resort when trying to get reloading components. That was the case last week, I still like to at least peruse the guns when I go there. Last firearm I purchased from them was in the last century so it’s been 20+ years.
                      Working...
                      X