X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petedish68
    started a topic 8mm Mauser Questions

8mm Mauser Questions

*Disclaimer* Not sure of the legality of this so I will say this is a question for a friend of a friend.

A few years back my friend's friend's grandpa gave him a bunch of firearms that he doesn't use anymore (unfortunately for him he wasn't willing to pass down his Benellli yet) and one of them is a Mauser he got from a friend. Now this rifle definitely belonged to a nazi at one point in time, it has the eagle stamps and a soldier's serial number stamped in.

My first question, is it legal to own a rifle like this? I'm pretty sure it was a trophy weapon.

Second question: My friend's friend's grandpa mentioned that his friend had had some modifications done to the rifle to make it more appropriate for sport shooting, but he wasn't clear on what those modifications were. Does anybody have any recommendations on where a person could take it to find out what was changed and get some advice on how to properly care for the rifle? Preferably in the Omaha area. Mainly looking for advice on field stripping/takedown and the proper way to clean it. It would be really neat to take a deer with this rifle.

Thanks!

• Catfishsteve
    replied
    8mm Mausers and all of those Mauser variants are the bomb!! Let's see some pics!!

Leave a comment:

• Miltoid
    replied
    You are the owner of the greatest bolt action of all time. It is the action from which all modern bolt actions are derived. 8mm Mauser amo is readily available. If you haven't had it looked at yet put up some photos, I can tell you what has been altered. You may want to Google Mauser 98 to learn of the long and varied history of your rifle.

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    If it still has certain markings it could be very collectable. I've been surprised by how much value those markings have.

Leave a comment:

• Torino
    replied
    Yes, it's legal to own. Take it to a reputable gunsmith to have it checked over. It might have been re-barreled to a different, easier to get caliber. As for the "soldiers serial number", it's more than likely an import stamp number or re-numbered when it went through a refurb at the arsenal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X