Mosin Nagant 91/30 project !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mosin Nagant 91/30 project !!

I just can't help myself. I like the old Mosins. The other day I was at the range and there were a bunch of guys there and about 6 of them sitting in the rack, including mine.

For the most part, they were all ugly, nasty looking. Stocks all streaked and smudged with cosmoline, just gross.

So, I decided that mine was going to get some love from me over the next month. A complete makeover, if you will.

I'm going to strip and refinish the stock, smooth up the bolt, give it a trigger job and cut and recrown the muzzle.
    Then I'm going to put a scout scope and a real recoil pad on it.

Anyone ever taken on such a project? What are your thoughts about doing a Mosin this way?

Tell us about yours?

Become the change in the world that you seek.

I have found memories of shooting armor piercing rounds at cast iron windows weights, and the ridiculous fireball our of the barrel.

never worked on one

Comment

I'm a purist. I think it is destroying history.... especially if it's an older or rare model. If you want to redo a gun, pick a different one. IMHO of course.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyHandsRob View Post
        I'm a purist. I think it is destroying history.... especially if it's an older or rare model. If you want to redo a gun, pick a different one. IMHO of course.
        Well, there were at least 17 million 91/30 model Mosin-Nagants or derivatives of, made going back to before the turn of the last century. Yes, they fought in 2 world wars and were still being issued to front line soldiers of the former Soviet Union and other countries into the 1970's. Testimony to a rugged design, decent power and reasonable accuracy in the hands of run of the mill soldiers. A design that showed remarkable adaptability as times changed. The 7.62x54R cartridge (the longest serving cartridge in history) is still seeing service in battle today in machine guns and the famous Draganov sniper rifle.

For certain, there are certain models and variants of Mosin-Nagant rifles that are extremely collectable. But given the fact that none of those rifles will ever be a 1942 round receiver Izzy like the one I'm butchering up; Stored packed in cosmoline for decades with a barrel that was shot out at the muzzle (like most Izzy's) and bearing the common muzzle counter boring which left it largely inaccurate, gross looking (like most Mosin-Nagants you come across) and functioning poorly, this rifle, IMHO needed to have a future where the good qualities the rifle does have could be made to shine in my hands.

Many Mosin-Nagants have decent wood under all that grease and if properly bedded, trigger jobbed and reworked a bit might possibly make a rifle that is very enjoyable to drag regularly to the range where it can attract the attention of even more people who will take them on as rescue guns and give them a life of being enjoyed and their history and that of the soldier and countries the bore them in battle and those who faced them. All in a rifle that good specimens of can still be had for less than $300.00 at times.

Otherwise, aside from the very few truly collectable Mosin-Nagants out there (most of which will set you back a cool $1K or even over $2K) most Mosin's will sit in the back of someone's gun safe, never seeing the light of day. I'm going to pay $1000.00 or more for a rifle that's nearly 100 years old (or older) and then take it to the range and shoo it? Not likely. No one is learning any history or appreciation for anything from these museum pieces and the hundred's of thousands of 91/30's that never see the light of day here and the millions upon millions of them in other places that sit just rusting and rotting away.

I'm with you though, there are some rifles I would never mess with, regardless of condition or even lack of current proper function.

The Mosin-Nagant 91/30 as they are available today, does not fall in to that category, for me.
        Someday, I might like to have one that is actually significant. And when that day comes, this current rifle will probably still be the one that I take out for fun.

I hope I've actually now made it more a more desirable rifle to some future member of my own family because it's a cool old rifle that I love and will end up putting hours and hours of sweat and tears into into. (With a Mosin-Nagant, those who contend that this is the very definition of a fool's errand can hardly be faulted)

If some grandchild of mine wants that rifle someday more because I worked on it to polish a turd, basically, and they have great memories of going with me and learning to shoot and ring steel with that rifle and learn about it and something about the history of the rifle that is largely, like many rifles, our own history, that's a better thing to pass on to someone that some butt ugly, rusty piece of crap that one one can even shoot properly and enjoy.

But I'm with you though, the history is very important. But I don't think there's any harm done going all Frankenstein on one of this type of old Mosin-Nagant.

Comment

Totally understand where you're coming from.

How's it shoot/group?

Comment

Totally understand where you're coming from.

How's it shoot/group?
            Gonna go find out right now!! I'll post pics when I get back!!

Mosin-Nagant 91/30
            1942 Izzy

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosin Nagant 2018.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1202383
            Mosin-Nagant 91/30
            1942 Izzy
            Reworked 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Catfishsteve View Post

Gonna go find out right now!! I'll post pics when I get back!!

Mosin-Nagant 91/30
              1942 Izzy

Name:	Mosin Nagant 2018.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1202383
              Mosin-Nagant 91/30
              1942 Izzy
              Reworked 2018
              What's the date on the tang?

Comment

I've been meaning to look at that as I've heard it can be different than what's on the receiver.
                I'll post later as I'm going take it all down again. I'll post that date here later this evening.

OK, targets/range report:

I had 1 box of bullets. Tulammo 148 gr FMJ
                I started at 50 yards to get it bore sighted and get it close with a few shots.

Then I moved to 100 yards. The first target posted is 1st target I shot after I got lined up pretty good at 100 yards ( or so I thought) 3 shots, good elevation but slightly off center to the right. This 3-shot group measures approx. 3.5 inches and represents shots 8,9 and 10 for this session, I believe, from my box of ammo.

100 yards, 3 shots 2x7 scope set on 7X

Name:	Mosin Target 1 2_28_2018.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1202421

This next target is the last 4 bullets in the box.
                (Scope still on 7x)
                I fired 2 shots, looked in the spotting scope and saws I was still off to the right.
                So I made an an adjustment and fired the last 2 shots, which impacted a couple inches high. Pretty much where I was trying to get to.

Both of these 2 shot groups measured more or less 1.5". which I'd take from any Milsurp rifle anytime!

Name:	Mosin 2 5_28_2018.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1202422

Shows promise, anyway.
                If I can get this rifle to hold 1.5 MOA out to 300 yards, I'll be stoked.
                I had aggressively cleaned the barrel recently and so the bore was very clean and lubed up.

I imagine that as the barrel got fouled and picked up some cladding on the lands, it resulted in the smaller groups I got to today.

I want to try some 203 gr Silver Bear ammo next in this rifle.
                From what I've read and watched on the internets, these rifles tend to favor heavier bullets and that Silver Bear load has a number of nice reviews for this 7.62x54R loading.

Anyone have any experience with shooting that 203 gr Silver Bear load in their Mosin?

Comment

Rob,

Well, I took the rifle apart and unfortunately, the "underneath" tang area was heavily milled at some point.
                  I can see a very small upside down "V" or what's left of an "A" in that area. But whatever had been stamped under the tang
                  in terms of a date stamp I'm afraid is long gone. The receiver says 1942 and does have the small Soviet Sickle and Hammer stamped above the year.

One cool thing about this Mosin is that the serial #'s all match, even the butt plate.

Comment

Name:	Mosin Target 6_2_2018.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1202957

Silver Bear 203 gr
                    ~1.5" at 100 yards all day!!

Name:	Mosin 6_3_2018.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1202958

Gonna stretch her out at the range today. More pics later.

Comment

I've been shooting matches out to 600 yards with this rifle now that I'm done messing with it. I have another project in mind maybe for this winter, on another one.
                      Last edited by Catfishsteve; 05-28-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X