10/22 Build.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10/22 Build.

I have been kicking around the idea of building my pretty much stock 10/22 into a "target" rifle. I' not looking for "competition grade", just to squeeze out some more accuracy.

I have already swapped out the factory trigger group for the Ruger BX trigger group. Wow! What a difference that made. Now I am mostly looking for suggestions on a barrel and stock for it.

I have been looking at the Magpul, Hogue and Tactical Solutions stocks. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

I haven't looked at barrels much yet. I would love to hear what you all have for info on them.

I have spent some time looking at Volquartsan for some of the internals. Any other vendors out there to look at for internals.

Thanks in advance for My input.

I will put the factory trigger group back in and do some baseline accuracy tests, and post them up here. Then I will add to it once I add a new component.

One last thing would be ammo? I have never shot anything but the typical Winchester, Remington, CCI, Federal ammo. Should I look at some other manufacturers?

Love the site
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com

Start reading . Lots of reading .

Comment

+1 on rimfirecentral.com. That site is the King Solomon's Mine of rimfire knowledge.

Stocks: Hogues are known for flexing a bit in the forend which can cause accuracy issues if shooting from a bipod. No experience with Magpul or Tactical Solutions. Another stock that is on my radar is the Victor Company Titan (http://victorcompanyusa.com/titan-1022.html). Haven't seen this stock in person, but it's growning on me.

Barrels: The only aftermarket barrels I've used are Green Mountain Barrels(Adams & Bennett). Haven't had any issues. Most 10/22 aftermarket barrels designed for accuracy have a Bentz chamber. The way I understand it, that is the equivalent of a match chamber for 10/22. I think of it as the tightest chamber tolerances that still allow for reliable extraction in a 10/22.

Internals: VQ seems to be the industry leader for DIYers. KIDD and Power Customs are also up there.

Ammo: Just like with your air rifles, try as many different loads as you can and when you find what it likes, buy bunch! Aguila, Eley, Wolf are other brands to try. Also look at different loads within each brand.

Comment

Finally time to update this thread!

After scouring the Internet and talking to as many people as I could here is the combination that I have come up with.

Magpul X-22 stock.

Kidd Innovative Design 20" threaded Bull barrel with muzzle break.

Kidd firing pin, extractor, and bolt handle charging assembly.

Ruger BX trigger group

UTG pic rail

Leapers 6-24x50 AO, IR, MD scope

Amazon bipod

I haven't put a lot of rounds through it yet, but the preliminary tests look very, very good.

I am extremely happy with all of the components I selected. The fit and finish is perfect on all of them and no modifications were required to assemble them. I would definitely reccomend all and any of them.
        Last edited by swoab47; 12-08-2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by swoab47 View Post
            Finally time to update this thread!

After scouring the Internet and talking to as many people as I could here is the combination that I have come up with.

Magpul X-22 stock.

Kidd Innovative Design 20" threaded Bull barrel with muzzle break.

Kidd firing pin, extractor, and bolt handle charging assembly.

Ruger BX trigger group

UTG pic rail

Leapers 6-24x50 AO, IR, MD scope

Amazon bipod

I haven't put a lot of rounds through it yet, but the preliminary tests look very, very good.

I am extremely happy with all of the components I selected. The fit and finish is perfect on all of them and no modifications were required to assemble them. I would definitely reccomend all and any of them.
            That's cool looking!!
            Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

That is a crazy .22 LR!
              Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

Very nice, BaBassHunter! What are the specs?

Comment

Years ago when outdoor life, field and stream, andand sports afield were our only source of hunting n fishing info

One of them did a big test on all kinds of 22 ammo from the cheapest to the fanciest Olympic ammo.

One of most accurate in all their tests was the Winchester Superx copper plated round nose.

So that's what I've used ever since.

I used to have a Remington 582 bolt 22.

It was a one holer at 50yds with the win Superx.

So if you're looking for some ammo to check group size on a new rifle give it a try.

Peace and Love

Comment

I was really surprised that the Remington Golden Bullets grouped as well as they did.

Super excited about that, as they are on the cheaper end of the spectrum...

Comment

Working...
                    X