Parade of the Military Surplus Rifles!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabNE View Post
    I have an old SKS. Archer Arms in Lincoln had them on sale for $85 many years ago and that came with cleaning kit in stock and a bayonet. I found a scope that fit mine too.
    definitely a military surplus buy. Thing is heavy but shoots very fast and very well. Made a great cheap deer gun with good 7.62 rounds through it.
    jim
    Have you seen what they are going for on Gunbroker? $$$
    NEMUDHOLANGLR

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1220730Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1220731Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1220732 These are some very fine examples and I have been waiting for someone to post something a little older. Since I have been waiting I thought I better put mine up. Not the first cartridge rifle for the US army but the first one to be generally issued.

Actually the model 1878, not the 1873, Springfield 45-70 and by the date in the cartouche, produced in the 1880's.

Comment

Very cool, Old Nebraska Guy! Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Nebraska Guy
          Since I have been waiting I thought I better put mine up. Not the first cartridge rifle for the US army but the first one to be generally issued.

Actually the model 1878, not the 1873, Springfield 45-70 and by the date in the cartouche, produced in the 1880's.

Wow!! Now that what I'm talkin' about !! Thanks Old Nebraska Guy!
          Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

Originally posted by Catfishsteve View Post

The particular Mosin I have is a much better shooter than my Mauser.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mosin Nagant 2018.jpg Views:	30 Size:	29.1 KB ID:	1219348
            Over the past month I've had my Mosin-Nagant out to the range a couple of times and have been able to bang steel targets off the bench at 500 meters. I hope to get a chance soon to take it out and see if it's capable at say, 700-800 meters.

Comment

Today I went and shot a CMP Vintage Sniper Rifle match with my FrankenMosin. My first one. Met some really cool guys and had a blast.

If you've never shot one of these matches, first, you have to have a scoped rifle from one the wars from Korea back to WW1 to enter, I believe. Any country of origin will do, pretty much. Now, to actually shoot for match points it has to be an all original rifle with an original scope,or a reproduction of an original scope.

Normally you shoot as a two man team, but the weather out west and up north wiped out half of our shooters today, so we shot an "unofficial" match as single shooters today. There is a "non-competitive" division for folks who shoot altered period rifles like mine, and those shooters don't shoot for official CMP score and points. Since today ended up being unofficial match with me shooting an unofficial rifle, I was sort of on "double secret probation". But no matter, it was still a hoot from start to finish.

There were guys shooting Mausers of several flavors, Mosin's, Swiss K38's and maybe a Springfield '03 today. You shoot it all from prone; 10 shots from 300 yards and then 10 shots from 600 yards. I really didn't measure it, but I know the 10 ring on the 600 target was maybe 10 inches wide. Maybe.
              The target pops up for 20 seconds and you have to fire in that time as it then goes back down, out of sight. The impact and score of your last shot are marked on the target when the target pops up again so you can see if you've got it dialed in and the wind doped out before you try your next shot. The wind was strong and variable today. I found myself waiting for "my mirage" to show up before before firing each shot today.

You also get a 5 minute sight in period for fire unlimited sighters prior to each scored relay. Let me tell you, most of these guys were about as old as their rifles and they could shoot. I saw 10-12 shot sight in groups on a couple 600 yard targets that you didn't need both hands to cover, even with all that wind.

So yeah, it was a blast. The match was held down at the ENGC in Louisville, NE. You don't have to be a member to shoot any match at the club, but there is an entry fee charged. I think these matches are usually $15.00 to enter and you do have to preregister.. There will be other Vintage Sniper Matches held there later on. There is one on May 18th. If anyone wants more information or maybe wants to think about shooting one of these matches, let me know!!

If you don't have a partner to squad with, the match organizers will team you up. They will put you with an experienced shooter to help you. Great bunch of guys though. Every one was helping everyone get on target today. It was more of just than a fun trip to the range with shooters who know their stuff than it was any sort of competition.

Comment

Working...
              X