Do you open carry?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you open carry?

Im a CCW guy myself, but I have always been intrigued by those that open carry in town. I personally like the idea, and I have been considering doing it myself. I always give folks a nod when I see it. I do wonder though...

Do those of you who open carry ever have any issues come up from John or Jane Public? Any comments from businesses where you open carry? Any stories to share?
    NEFGA on Amazon Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I open carry in small town NE once in a while. A few months ago we saw a guy open carrying at a restaurant in Omaha. He didn’t have any issues. I wish that it happened more often so the public would have more of an opportunity to understand that guns aren’t evil.

Comment

I agree! I would like to do it, but I dont want to create any unnecessary conflicts either. I know I dont have any concerns with that when I conceal carry.
      NEFGA on Amazon Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

No. I believe in keeping a low profile. It is best to be not noticed

Comment

I've never found the need to carry for protection, so the only carry I have done and would be inclined to do would be open and during a hunting or firearm sporting event.

IF (some may believe it will likely be "when") I am concerned for protection, licensed or not, it'll be concealed.

I have no need (for protection purposes) to show off my strength in a public setting.

Harold F.
          Report Fish/Game Violations:
          1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Harold and others with that opinion- Nobody ever knows when and if you will ever need to carry for protection. That said, I do believe that a person open carrying would be the first bad guy target if they found themselves in one of those situations. I could care less about pushing agendas or improving public opinion - I carry because it's my right. I conceal carry daily where legal. I'm not as concerned with my protection as I am in those around me. How horrible would it feel to be helpless during one of those mass shootings. I'm glad I'll never know that feeling.

Comment

If it is legal and the business doesn’t have no weapons posted should not be an issue. I have seen folks walk into Walmart packing.
              Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Originally posted by WyoHunter View Post
                Harold and others with that opinion- Nobody ever knows when and if you will ever need to carry for protection. That said, I do believe that a person open carrying would be the first bad guy target if they found themselves in one of those situations. I could care less about pushing agendas or improving public opinion - I carry because it's my right. I conceal carry daily where legal. I'm not as concerned with my protection as I am in those around me. How horrible would it feel to be helpless during one of those mass shootings. I'm glad I'll never know that feeling.
                Not sure why I'm "named" here. Simply provided MY opinion, didn't question anyone else's opinion nor promote anyone following my actions.

Carrying a gun will NOT give me "piece of mind" as my life is not centered on worst case scenarios. Nor will I feel any responsibility (blame) for NOT carrying just because I have the right to do so.

Harold F.
                Report Fish/Game Violations:
                1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

• WyoHunter
                  WyoHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Had no intention to call you out- I worded this poorly. I do feel strongly that those capable should exercise their rights but it's not fair to put you in a corner for your opinion. Sorry.

Ok so I'll probably get flak for this but what does conceal or open carry have to do with fish or game in the state of Nebraska?
                NEFGA?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bucket View Post
                  what does conceal or open carry have to do with fish or game in the state of Nebraska?
                  NEFGA?
                  Nothing whatsoever. However, this is the relevant section for this topic.

https://www.nefga.org/forum/fishing-...hooters-corner

NEFGA on Amazon Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

JKL, thanks for clarification.

Comment

I usually do when I have it with me, but the dumbest thing in the world is that if I go into a shop or store when I'm running my trap line and stick it under my seat so it's not in plain sight for theft I now have a concealed weapon. That has always irked me to no end!

Comment

Over 20 years ago I carried openly before CCW permits were a thing. I owned a cash heavy business in a big city and people knew that. Carrying a gun openly seemed the safest option to keep myself safe. Once CCW permits became available I was one of the first ones to apply and receive one. After that point, I have never open carried unless it is hunting season, and even then, I always have a concealed gun. My opinion is, I don't want others to know I have a gun. It is none of their business and I don't need any unneeded attention drawn to me or my family. As a general rule, I don't have a problem with OC, unless it is one of these nutters that do it to prove a point to everyone else that they have a gun while they carry their hi-point in their uncle mikes #5 holster. ;-)

Comment

This could be inaccurate. but my CCW instructor told us that in Nebraska there is no law against open carrying but to use caution because somebody who didn't like it could press assault charges on you because "they felt threatened"

Comment

Originally posted by Husker_Angler View Post
                            This could be inaccurate. but my CCW instructor told us that in Nebraska there is no law against open carrying but to use caution because somebody who didn't like it could press assault charges on you because "they felt threatened"
                            No state law but Omaha and I believe Blair have ordinances against it. The fact that someone could get you arrested for doing it is reason to respectfully raise awareness by doing it right.

Comment

Working...
                            X