Brake Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Cleaner

Got a new Benelli Nova yesterday and need to give it a good first cleaning.

Ty, I heard you mention Brake cleaner? Do you use brake cleaner just like you would a typical gun solvent? Any particular type of brake cleaner?

Any other tricks you guys have for making gun cleaning go quick and easy?

I've cleaned plenty of shotguns, don't get me wrong, just thought I'd get a post going where we can share tips and tricks.

burrodebo
    "We subscribe to the idea that there's no such thing as failure. There's just giving up. We do not give up. We are relentless." -- The Edge, U2

I can't remember the name of the product ( saw it on epsn hunting shows) but there is a new foam cleaner on the market that you spray into the barrel and it removes the dirt, lead, and powder deposits. Just spray and then run a cloth through, looks like a good method.
    When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

Well they do make cleaners for guns. I would probably just stick to that. I myself dont really care about the finish on my gun and plus being a mechanic for years Brake Kleen is just natural for me to have around. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Stromquist
        Well they do make cleaners for guns. I would probably just stick to that. I myself dont really care about the finish on my gun and plus being a mechanic for years Brake Kleen is just natural for me to have around. :lol:
        I'll bet an industrial-type solvent like brake cleaner would get the job done plenty quick. I'd be afraid, though, about the finish too. I'd think Hoppes Solvent would get the job done just as well and you probably have that on hand.

Just clean that think a little more thorough that you might after a normal hunt. You should be fine. You've picked up a nice gun.

Deas

Comment

Better yet do what we do.

Dont clean them. You dont need to. 8)

Ive had mine 2 years now and besides a shot of rem oil in it thats all Mr Steel Slanger gets until he wants to let me down. Hasnt happened once yet.

Comment

I agree with Ty.........why clean it. The Nova is a gun that will take care of you even if you don't take care of it. I think guys are way too worried about their firearms when it comes to cleaning,especially pumps. I honestly think that keeping it oiled is a bad thing cause all the dust,weeds,dirt,sand just sticks to the lubricates easier than leaving them dry. Just my 2 cents.

Alex
            They have cometh

Comment

Even when it's right out of the box, you guys wouldn't clean it? It's got some oily residue on it and I would guess some packing grease as well.
              "We subscribe to the idea that there's no such thing as failure. There's just giving up. We do not give up. We are relentless." -- The Edge, U2

Comment

nope. wipe it off and then go hunting or shoot some bluerock to get used to it. Like I said, mine works much better without any lubricates on it. just wear any stuff that may be on it now,off. Pretty much the only lubricate mine sees all season is marsh water or if it gets coated in sand, a good bath from the garden hose.

Alex
                They have cometh

Comment

A little lube never hurts anything....take that any way you want
                  When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

A little lube may never hurt anything EXCEPT when your'e hunting in windy,sandy condititions and your gun gets covered in it cause you lubed it up.

Bo,
                    The only cleaning I do on mine is......I run a barrel cleaner(long fuzzy thing) thru it every few hunts. I then will take the plug,spring,stopper out and clean the magazine tube cause I have had debris get up in there and slow the shell ejection down,once. I do that maybe 1-2 season just to be on the safe side.

Alex
                    They have cometh

Comment

Originally posted by Fish On
                      I can't remember the name of the product ( saw it on epsn hunting shows) but there is a new foam cleaner on the market that you spray into the barrel and it removes the dirt, lead, and powder deposits. Just spray and then run a cloth through, looks like a good method.

Are you thinking of "Wipe Out Spray Foam" by chance?

Bo, Try cleaning it with rubbing alcohol, an old toothbrush(if necessary) and compressed air. Really works good on the trigger group. And yes oil will attract dirt, but any metal surfaces contacting will wear without lube.
                      Cleaning Trash Fish FromThe Pit, One State Record At A Time

Comment

Originally posted by Wirenut
                        Bo, Try cleaning it with rubbing alcohol, an old toothbrush(if necessary) and compressed air. Really works good on the trigger group. And yes oil will attract dirt, but any metal surfaces contacting will wear without lube.
                        Spot on. There are two sure-fire ways of either ruining your gun or significantly limiting its life...that's to NEVER clean it or to OVER CLEAN it. Somewhere in between is a happy medium and all that depends on the type of shotgun you have, how much you shoot, and what type of shot you're using. Shotguns with more moving parts (e.g., autos & pumps) tend to need more cleaning and lubrication than shotguns with fewer moving (and exposed moving) parts (e.g., O/Us & S/Ss). Obviously, the more shot and wad you put through your gun, the more powder, shot, and plastic build up you will have. This type of build up, overtime, causes more wear and tear and often leads to short shell ejects...frustrating when you need that second shot. The type of shot you use will also play a roll in how much your shotgun needs to be cleaned. Exposed lead shot will tend to leave more residue than jacketed/coated shot (e.g., copper coated) or exposed steel. Certain brands, too, tend to fire dirtier than others. For me I've found Federal Wing-shok to be some of the cleanest burning powder and hence it's nicer on my gun.

Find a happy medium in between cleaning your gun every time you shoot and never cleaning it. I try to clean my shotgun every 150 rounds or so.

When you do clean, clean it thoroughly and lubricate lightly...as others have said lubrication (especially over lubrication) will attract all sorts of debris which, too, will wear your gun out. Silicon can be a good option as it tends to repel debris a little better, but needs more frequent application. One thing for sure...stay away from WD-40! This stuff attracts everything!

Deas

Comment

Originally posted by Wirenut
                          Spot on. There are two sure-fire ways of either ruining your gun or significantly limiting its life...that's to NEVER clean it or to OVER CLEAN it. Somewhere in between is a happy medium and all that depends on the type of shotgun you have, how much you shoot, and what type of shot you're using. Shotguns with more moving parts (e.g., autos & pumps) tend to need more cleaning and lubrication than shotguns with fewer moving (and exposed moving) parts (e.g., O/Us & S/Ss). Obviously, the more shot and wad you put through your gun, the more powder, shot, and plastic build up you will have. This type of build up, overtime, causes more wear and tear and often leads to short shell ejects...frustrating when you need that second shot. The type of shot you use will also play a role in how much your shotgun needs to be cleaned. Exposed lead shot will tend to leave more residue than jacketed/coated shot (e.g., copper coated) or exposed steel. Certain brands, too, tend to fire dirtier than others. For me I've found Federal Wing-shok to be some of the cleanest burning powder and hence it's nicer on my gun.

Find a happy medium in between cleaning your gun every time you shoot and never cleaning it. I try to clean my shotgun every 150 rounds or so.

When you do clean, clean it thoroughly and lubricate lightly...as others have said lubrication (especially over lubrication) will attract all sorts of debris which, too, will wear your gun out. Silicon can be a good option as it tends to repel debris a little better, but needs more frequent application. One thing for sure...stay away from WD-40! This stuff attracts everything!

Lastly, the occasionally cleaning also will help you stay on top of your gun's condition. Remember, it's your responsibility to ensure that you firearm is in working and safe condition. Be sure everything is as it's supposed to be when you clean.

Deas

Comment

So that's how you got to a thousand posts to quickly... double posting :zthink:

Comment

So that's how you got to a thousand posts to quickly... double posting :d

Comment

Working...
                              X