need advice on cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need advice on cleaning

just picked up a free .22 cal marlin rifle w/ scope for $0, but the catch is that it has not been used in over 10 years.....

any recommendations on cleaning and what not, would be great, or if you have some other resources that i should look into, pls help ! i really have never cleaned a .22 , and know very little about them. I have shotguns and .40 cal handgun but never a .22 , is there anything I should check out on this baby before taking her out? it looks very clean, except for some dust and such, but I still assume it needs a good cleaning after not being shot for 10 years.

whats the best way to clean a .22 cal rifle that hasnt been touched in 10 years? Thanks much.

(sorry im not a .22 expert or anything. i love my 10 gauge, ak-47, sks, .30-6, and my M40A1(dont ask))

CMON is it that much diff than cleaning any other gun? the only thing diff about it from all my other guns is , its not a pump action, it is MARLIN MODEL 60 TUBULAR FED .22

i have no idea about this thing, cmon someone! i know u gun gurus know something about this thing. Thanks

Comment

The only thing I'd do is run a brass brush thru the barrel,then a dry patch. Should be o.k. to shoot as long as the barrel is clean. After you shoot,give it a good cleaning. No need to be over cleaning it just to see if it shoots. Wait til your'e done and then give it a good cleaning.

Alex
      They have cometh

Comment

I would make sure it is unloaded, check the chamber for a shell, check the magazine for any shells then run a brass brush down the barrel and a lightly oiled patch followed by the brass brush again. Then inspect the alignment of barrel to chamber and firing pin and check the gun for any structural damage. If everything looks okay then it should be safe to fire. You didn't say if it was a single shot,pump,bolt action or a semi auto. I would recommend if it is a semi auto to fire it once and check the ejection process and slowly work up to more rapid firing. Just my $.02 worth.

Comment

thanks folks.

Comment

A good can of brake cleaner works sweet on the insides to scrub them clean. Just make sure to not get any on the wood stock or it will eat the finish off.

Then lube with a light coat of rem oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Stromquist
              Then lube with a light coat of rem oil.
              :zyeathat: Definitely get light coating of oil in the barrel. Will lengthen your gun's life and makes it easier to clean the next time around. Also, see if you can find cleaner shooting rounds. I've had better luck with federals...Remington rounds were really dirty!

Deas

Comment

Working...
              X