Painting Dekes and need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting Dekes and need some advice

doing a little touching up on some worn out dekes this weekend before I head out hunting in the next few weeks and am wondering what the best way to do this is. I see cabelas has a kit but I'm guessing you can probably go to home depot or where ever and find the paint yourself and not pay as much. Just wondering what colors does everybody go with for the mallard dekes and what paints work best and don't wash off and hold up the best. Not the best painter but I do have a dozen new dekes that I can use to be my models. Is detail extremely important or is just getting the basic colors important enough? Thanks for any help. Looking forward to getting out and hopefully getting a chance to shoot at a few if I can find some time off work and school.
    "Where's the booze?"
    "I just got robbed by a little old lady on a motorized cart...and I didn't even see it comin!"

prep work is key to getting the paint to stick. Alot of work and kinda time consuming,IMO. I bought a Parker's paint set from Cabelas when I did mine. Worked o.k. However,now I just buy Hot Buys and rotate the older ones out when needed.

Alex
    They have cometh

Comment

Exterior latex flat works great and then seal with some Krylon 1311.

I agree with Alex though. For $25 you can get a dozen GHG hotbuys. Cant beat them for that price.

Comment

They're fine if you're into mallard dekes.

I would recommend going with a 5 dozen coot stuffer spread. I'm getting started on mine this weekend. :zsick:
        I like poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.

Comment

IMO, duck dekes arnt worth repainting. $25 for a dozen new dekes and your set. If you still want to keep your old dekes paint em flat black....a old trick to add visability to your spread. This was done long before the Mojo.
          H8r and Alex are right. I've got about 70 carrylites hanging in my shed I got from h8r a couple years ago that I still haven't gotten to repainting. When and if I do they are getting painted black. If you don't have lots of time don't do it... atleast not during the hunting season.

IMO, the only plastic decoy I would consider repainting are GHG's they are the best looking deke out there. If you guys have any out of rotation let me know.

If you really want to though go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and buy the Americana brand of acrylic paints. They are only around a buck a bottle and the paint is better suited to sticking to plastics. If you want to try it I'll get you a list of colors you need and tell you how to prep the decoy so the paint will stick.

Comment

Nice new signature gooseh8r

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Just a guess, but I think the black dekes work well because they look like coots. Ducks love coots. Just watch a flock of birds work when there's coots on the water.
              I like poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.

Comment

From the air, a black profile is supossedly the frst thing you (or migrating birds as the logic goes), can see. Then white, which is why guys like to run a few pintails.

Of course this is all book knowledge. I've never killed a duck in my life, yet. :cry:
                "We subscribe to the idea that there's no such thing as failure. There's just giving up. We do not give up. We are relentless." -- The Edge, U2

Comment

HAHA JOSH! That sig is funny as hell........... yet true. :d

Comment

Are the greanhead hot buy decoys any good? I was thinking about buying them. I thought it was a pretty good deal, 12 for 25.00.
                    Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

I think they are one of the better looking decoys out.

Alex
                      They have cometh

Comment

I really like Hot Buys :zimnum1:

Comment

I got some of the life-size ones that cost double that price with the removable keels as well as some hot buys. I really would rather use the hot buys. The keels always bust off on the more expensive GHG ones.

Buy the HOT BUY ones.

Comment

Ty,
                            We have about 4 doz of those life size dekes with the removable keel. The first couple of times we used them we lost a couple of keels when we were picking them up. We thought we had them locked in but apparently we did not. It is a real pain reaching down in that cold a** water to retrieve them. I went to the local Scheels where we bought them to discuss this situation and they informed me that all we needed to do was to get a tube of clear silicone caulk and put a dab at the back of the keel once we knew we had them locked into place. That was 3 years ago and have not lost 1 since. You might give this a try if you have not already.
                            Just thought I would pass that info on.

Comment

Originally posted by lablvr
                              Ty,
                              We have about 4 doz of those life size dekes with the removable keel. The first couple of times we used them we lost a couple of keels when we were picking them up. We thought we had them locked in but apparently we did not. It is a real pain reaching down in that cold a** water to retrieve them. I went to the local Scheels where we bought them to discuss this situation and they informed me that all we needed to do was to get a tube of clear silicone caulk and put a dab at the back of the keel once we knew we had them locked into place. That was 3 years ago and have not lost 1 since. You might give this a try if you have not already.
                              Just thought I would pass that info on.
                              Not a bad idea but I remove the keels and set them on the edge of the water when I break a hole in the ice and shoot mallards over them.

Ours just would break and the sand would come out or they would just snap off.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X