It's been decided

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been decided

Well we got all our camo gear together. Sunday we are going to head out to find Mr. Tom Turkey. While scouting the land that we are able to hunt, I took many pictures of the turkeys in the area. They all seem to be coming off of private protected land into our land to feed at around 7am we saw two groups. Heard lots more. Now that the crops are nearly out we are going to setup down the fence line that the turkeys cross into the corn/bean fields at and wait for them, calling them if needed. We have gotten Alyssa her license for hunting turkey and pheasant and she is rarin to go. I figure I would spot them and call them if needed and have her get the first shot. What do all of you turkey fans think of this idea? Also, what shot do you use for turkey hunting, I run an Rem. 870 and usually use one type of cartridge.

Thanks,
    J.T.

JT...I think that sounds like a pretty good plan...but maybe more for spring turkeys. I think you might have a more difficult time calling them in as they're more interested in fattening up for the winter than just about anything else. I won't say that calling them in like that won't work, but I think you may have a harder time. Your location sounds perfect...I'm jealous. I'm just not sure how successful you might be calling them in.

Any chance you can set up within shooting distance of where they cross the fence. If you catch them crossing, one good yelp might get them stopped well-enough for you to get a nice shot? This is probably what I'd try. Otherwise, if you can find where they roost, run into the rafter (group of Turkeys) as soon as they fly down in the morning to scatter them. Set up a little ways away, wait 30 mins, and start calling with a yelp call.

Sure sounds like a really nice place to Turkey hunt. Let us know how you do and don't forget to snap a picture.

Nice work,

Deas

Comment

Id say ambush them when they cross that fence. Camo up perfectly and sit still but dont be to close to where they cross. Once they cross have everyone pick one out. Id bet they will try to leave the same way they came. So watch out for flying turkeys. Ive shot a couple that were flying. Pretty sweet seeing that big bird slam to the ground.

Comment

Fall turkey hunting ain't frickin' rocket science guys. Get your camo on,setup within shooting distance of where they cross the fence,sit very still and wait. BOOM.......dead turkey. No need to call or anything. Just try to break your outline up with grass,brush,fenceposts,etc. When you want a real challenge,hunt them in the spring...MUCH more exciting. JT,I got some turkey rounds if you haven't bought any yet.I'd like to get rid of them since I don't turkey hunt very often.

Alex
        They have cometh

Comment

I just bought some tonight, because I didn't see your post. But thanks for the offer.

Comment

No problem JT. Just thought I'd offer. Your biggest enemy will be the turkeys seeing you move. Take that into consideration when you setup and how you camo yourself. Face mask and camo gloves too. Be in the shooting position before the turkeys get into sight,they will see the slightest movement. Good luck.

Alex
            They have cometh

Comment

Didn't really think that any of the previous posts were anything remotely like rocket science...in fact, pretty much the same thing you said...I think someone is a little cranky tonight :d .

Deas

Comment

I shot my turkey with 5 shot in a 3-inch shell. Killed him deader than a doornail from 20 yards or so.
                -B. Stark

Comment

Good luck and dont forget to take pictures!:zcpic:
                  Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

I shot my spring Tom at 15 yards using my Model 500 Mossberg 12 gauge. Full choke loaded with Federal 2 3/4 lead 6 shot and he dropped there with only a couple wing quivers.

Comment

When are you planning on heading out, JT? Can't wait to see how you do!

Deas

Comment

I came down sick Saturday night, tried getting up on Sunday and couldn't move for the life of me...just rolled back over and went back to sleep. I really wanted to get down there and try for one, but I have till the end of December to get one.

J.T.

Comment

Tough break...still plenty of time, though. I'm going to try and get out in a couple of weeks.

Deas

Comment

Working...
                          X