Game birds for training...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game birds for training...?

Does anybody know of anyone close to Omaha, Council Bluffs, or Missouri Valley that sells game birds for training? It looks as if Pheasant Haven has closed and the closest I can find is Little Creek Game Bird Farm in Alrington, Ne.

Would like to get a couple of training birds (pheasants...not pigeons) for the coming weekend.

Thanks,

Deas

pretty sure that's the nearest spot to get some. Pheasant Haven is closed............Any idea why??

Alex
    They have cometh

Comment

I'm not sure where Arlington is. Bunker Hill near Hastings raises their own birds and I believe they are available for purchase. Would be about 2.5 hours from OMH.

Vonny

Comment

Just checked a map. Arlington would be much closer than Bunker Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by vonny571
          Just checked a map. Arlington would be much closer than Bunker Hill.
          Yeah...that looks like it's going to be the place. We're going to be training near Missouri Valley so that isn't too bad. Just need to get a hold of them and see what they charge. Last resort will be Pheasant Bonanza near Tekamah, just didn't really want to drive that far.

Thanks for the suggestions...if anyone has some other ideas, that would be great.

Thanks,

Deas

Comment

Check this link Deas http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/us-hunting/Nebraska.asp ...

Comment

Originally posted by Storm
              Check this link Deas http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/us-hunting/Nebraska.asp ...
              Thanks, Storm! I checked that a little earlier today (I think that's where I found Little Creek), but I'm not sure it's the most current.

Deas

Comment

Deas, would you drive all the way to Westroads to buy those birds? Timewise, Arlington's about the same distance from beautiful downtown Bennington. Take the blacktop road north from Hwy. 133 at the Elk City corner. It comes out just up the hill east of Arlington. :d
                �I think every happy memory plucks a hair from your head; if you see an old bald guy, he�s probably had a great life.� �-Red Green

Comment

I believe that NGPC should be able to give you a list of all current game bird breeders in the state. Pheasants are pretty tough to come by and they are expensive. I always felt that wild pigeons were a superior training bird to all but the very, very best pen raised pheasants.

Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

A dizzied up pigeon really is an awesome training bird. Especially when you get to shoot them.

Comment

Try Doug Loftus in Ashland 944-7636
                      Cleaning Trash Fish FromThe Pit, One State Record At A Time

Comment

Originally posted by OldBaldGuy
                        Deas, would you drive all the way to Westroads to buy those birds? Timewise, Arlington's about the same distance from beautiful downtown Bennington. Take the blacktop road north from Hwy. 133 at the Elk City corner. It comes out just up the hill east of Arlington. :d
                        Agreed...and thanks for the shortcut. I talked with these folks yesterday and we should be good to go. I guess you can only purchase one bird/hunter/day for training. Wasn't always this way...wonder when they made the change. Anyway, hen pheasants are $12.00/bird. Not the greatest deal, but certainly could be worse. We're just planning on using a couple to get the dogs primed up...should have been working on this much earlier, but I was too distracted by the fish.

Should be a good season nonetheless.

Thanks for every one's input. I'll be calling around to several of the other places mentioned later in the season.

Best wishes,

Deas

Comment

Working...
                        X