Deer Processing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Processing Question

I'm already counting down the days until muzzleloader season. I was wondering what you guys do with your deer, do you process them yourself or take it somewhere??

I would love to process it myself, but i'm just lucky to get enough time away in order to actually go on the hunt, so trying to do the processing myself would be a stretch.

Anyhow, anyone have any recommendations on who does a good job? I'll be hunting in NE Nebraska but live in Lincoln so really anyplace in between would work for me as well, it doesn't have to be just in the Lincoln area.

For those of you who do your own processing do you enjoy it? I'm sure it'd be a great way to save some $$.

I use to take mine to a local butcher and it would never cost me a dime , the butcher in question would ask me what I wanted and then keep such & such amount of meat for himself , for the cost of the work , however know your butcher ...

I never had this problem since I'm really close friends with the butcher who done my processing , however I have heard several guys complain of getting not their actual meat back but other older meat , again to solve that problem make sure you know your butcher ...

Hell I have a friendly relationship with even the butcher I go to regarding the actual grocery store I frequent , get to know these folks ...

Comment

We've always taken our deer to Karpicek's in Wilbur. IMO - they do a great job and are pretty reasonable with their prices. We've always cut up the deer ourselves - I'm not positive but I believe you need to de-bone the deer before you take it there. Maybe that is to guarantee you get the deer meat that you brought in, I'm not sure. I am positive we get the deer meat back that we shot and not someone else's deer though.

They make great jerky and sausage IMO....... I've given or exchanged meat with others and everyone always agrees that the jerky/sausage is much better than wherever they take their deer.

I'm curious what other do as well......

Comment

If your in NE neb I would check out T&R butcher block in Fordyce, they do an awsome job on deer.

Comment

we used to pay people every year but that got dang expensive. Now all we do it all ourselves. We are pals with a guy who worked at IBP in the slaughterhouse for years butchering up beef. He knows all the cuts and exactly what to do. We get some beer, knives, and ziplocks and dig in.

Comment

We also got tired of paying the price and not getting good quality meat back. We process our own...doesn't take that long for a single deer, more than 2 gets to be a real chore for a 1 day event. We started vacuum sealing the meat last year and it comes out of the pack just as tasty as it went in, even 11 months down the road. Always had a problem with the meat picking up a freezer taste when only packaged in paper. Zip-lock might work pretty well if you can get the air out.

Comment

Originally posted by South40
              We also got tired of paying the price and not getting good quality meat back. We process our own...doesn't take that long for a single deer, more than 2 gets to be a real chore for a 1 day event. We started vacuum sealing the meat last year and it comes out of the pack just as tasty as it went in, even 11 months down the road. Always had a problem with the meat picking up a freezer taste when only packaged in paper. Zip-lock might work pretty well if you can get the air out.

We always wrap ours in saran wrap and then put it in a freezer ziplock and try to get most the air out. Seems to work well. I really think I need one of those vacuum sealers though. That would be nice!

Comment

We started processing our's our self last year. We even bought a meat grinder. Father in law use to work in a slaughter house so he does the de-boning and cutting, we make it a family event. I like it because than we can package it any way we want. I do highly suggest investing in a Food Saver System, I use it for just about everything, and don't have to worry about freezer burn. Although it didn't work on the duck breast't I tried last night, the brest bones kept poking a hole in the bags.:zbghead:

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbaitsolldy
                  Although it didn't work on the duck breast't I tried last night, the brest bones kept poking a hole in the bags.:zbghead:
                  Just peel the feathers back on the bird and cut the meat right off the bone.

Less mess and easier.

Comment

I shot one with my bow on Friday and butchered it on Saturday before it got warm. I started doing it with the help of my wife a few years ago. Saves money and the satisfaction of doing it yourself is great. It definitely goes quicker everytime we do it. It also seems to have a less gamey flavor when I do it myself compared to when I took it to have someone else do it. As far as a good butcher around the Lincoln area, the butcher in Unadella is pretty good and fair priced, I believe it is called MK meats. It all depends on what you want more, fresh meat or more jerky, sausage and that type of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by roosterchaser
                      I shot one with my bow on Friday and butchered it on Saturday before it got warm. I started doing it with the help of my wife a few years ago. Saves money and the satisfaction of doing it yourself is great...
                      Couldn't agree with you more, roosterchaser. About 25 years ago, I decided I wanted to take a deer with my old recurve. Now, I inherited half my genes from my mother, and she's tighter than three coats of paint, so I butchered the deer myself. My thinking was, "Hey, it's just like a rabbit, only bigger." I basically boned out all the meat -- in retrospect, I probably should have used a hack saw a little more and the fillet knife a little less -- but I was happy with the results. In addition to the steaks and roasts, I ground some for summer sausage and made my own homemade pepperoni (casings and spices from Marino's Italian grocery in south O). If you can cut up a bunny, you can cut up a deer. Just act like you know what you're doing. :d
                      �I think every happy memory plucks a hair from your head; if you see an old bald guy, he�s probably had a great life.� �-Red Green

Comment

We always get ours processed by a butcher but have thougth about trying it for ourselves.
                        Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

I shot my first deer with a bow a week ago tomorrow. A good friend took the time to show me how to de-bone my deer so..... we did it ourselves on Sunday. Seems like it went pretty well. I also have a food saver which we packaged all the pieces in. Now Im going to need some recipes!
                          Take a kid fishing , give back what somebody gave to you!

Comment

Working...
                          X