Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steel shot alternatives??? Anyone have good advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel shot alternatives??? Anyone have good advice?

What brands or types of non-toxic shells/shot other than steel have any of you guys used on waterfowl? I am most familiar with the Kent and Hevi-shot products, both have been an improvement over the standard steel. When using these shells I seem to have more stone dead birds. Just wish the cost was easier on the wallet.. I'd be really interested in what other hunters have to say about these Alternative non-tox shells or if anyone has had a really good or really bad experience with a specific brand or shot size..
    Thanks,
    Chris Mac
    TEAM SKANK.....

IMO,if your'e decoying birds,steel shot works just fine. If your'e pass shooting or are taking shots that are over 35yds.,then I can see using the expensive stuff.I've experimented with Hevi-Shot, the Kent Matrix(?),and the Federal stuff. If I had to use it,I'd go with Hevi-Shot. However,I believe Hevi-Shot isn't gonna be made by Remington anymore and it will be made by Environ-Metal(the original makers of Hevi-Shot) or something like that. I've had horrible experience with their products and will not buy it again.......period. Using steel,I believe the key is using fast loads,anything pushing 1500fps. I really like Kent Fasteel #1s or #2s and also Winchester High Velocity in the same pellet sizes.

Alex
    They have cometh

Comment

I agree with Alex. I dont shoot anything but Winchester HV Steel. Its alot cheaper. Plus I can shoot a couple cases a year it seems.

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas, I would say most of my shooting is done inside of 35yds. I will most likely stay with the high velocity steel loads. Just kinda wanted to see what other guys were using, really appreciate the heads up on the Hevi-shot changes Alex. I had not heard of the switch. :d :d :d

Thanks,
        Chris Mac
        TEAM SKANK.....

Comment

Originally posted by chrismac34
          Thanks for the input fellas, I would say most of my shooting is done inside of 35yds. I will most likely stay with the high velocity steel loads. Just kinda wanted to see what other guys were using, really appreciate the heads up on the Hevi-shot changes Alex. I had not heard of the switch. :d :d :d

Thanks,
          Chris Mac
          Sounds like a good decision, Chris. Alternative non-toxic shot is just too expensive to use all season long if you plan on doing a lot of shooting. Moreover, the ballistics data, even compared to steel shot, just isn't all that impressive.

Deas

Comment

Working...
          X