Coyote Calling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyote Calling

Anybody out there doing any coyote calling. I am ready to get out there and have been thinking of getting a new call. I have only called for a couple of years and still consider my self a novice.

What calls work best? ( mouth calls, electronic calls, jack rabbit, .........)

Thanks,
    A good day at work will pay for a lot of bad days fishing!

I prefer a mouth call in the distressed cottontail

Comment

Used to do quite a bit of it out in the "western" parts of the state. Always used a mouth call - sceery in rabbit in distress, mostly. We mainly did it after the 1st of the year after the other hunting seasons were mostly done. 2 man teams work great - the caller with a 12 gage and the other person with a high power to reach out and touch 'em, if necessary. I just moved back to NE so, I'd like to find some places down here and get back into it a little....coon calling too!
      Troy

Comment

I'd like to learn more about how to do this. Do you call coyotes at night or during the day? Will other animals respond to the rabbit distress call? Maybe bobcats? Would coons come check it out too?

Anyone willing to give a basic synopsis of how it is done?

I know nothing about it.
        "We subscribe to the idea that there's no such thing as failure. There's just giving up. We do not give up. We are relentless." -- The Edge, U2

Comment

I do NOT consider myself an expert, but can provide some examples of what I've done in the past. Usually call the dogs during the day. As with any hunting, special attention to the wind and quiet and concealed as possible. I say quiet, but once in position you just wail on the call! Granted there are techniques, books, videos, etc, etc that will tell you to do it this way and that, but I personally don't think it matters that much. I figure a rabbit caught in a trap, or getting ate by a coyote, or eyes pecked out by a hawk will make some pretty crazy noises.....

Keep your eyes peeled as anything can come in - bobcats, hawks, coons, and coyotes. Often the coyotes and bobcats are educated and will want to circle down wind - watch your flanks. Sometimes they will just sit out at 200 yds and watch, and sit, and watch and sit, so stay still. Sometimes they sneak in and you don't know it until they are in your lap - literally - hence the 12 gage becomes very effective. After 15, 20, or 30 minutes it is time to move on - apparently nothing in hearing range or they already spooked. Walk to the next hill, valley, etc and do another setup. Just remember they have amazing hearing! 2 man setups are great with the caller facing into the wind and the wingman on one of the flanks (where you suspect the critter will circle). However, 1 man is very effective too, just need to be alert.

We have called 'yotes at night on full moons with snow cover and handheld spotlights, but makes it much tougher. I've never called coons but would love to try - this is done mostly at night.

A little of what I know about it ......

Comment

Well, I've been calling yotes for about 15 years and I am humbled almost every time out. I cannot stress enough how important wind direction, camo and no movement is. I will never be an "expert":znono:. I will say that I have used both mouth and electronic calls. The yotes around here have heard every tape Johnny Stuart has made, at least a dozen times. I use Faulks Cottontail, Sceery Cottontail and the Randy Anderson Howler, primarily. I have about 10 or 12 different calls and they all work. The most important thing with calling yotes is to cover a ton of territory. Usually we start off at daybreak, park the truck and head into the area (into the wind). We will call for a few seconds and wait about 5 minutes then call for a few seconds and wait another 10 minutes, maybe a little longer if it looks really good. If you see nothing, move another 150-200 yards into the wind and repeat. Continue this process until you hit the property line or until you feel like it is a long ways back to the truck . Then head on back and find another location. Often times I will only make one or two stands on a given property then move on down the road. The windier it is the more stands you need to make per stop. Good luck! Oh, the Johnny Stuart coon puppies and coons fighting tapes work very well to call coons at night. Find a bunch of cottonwoods and try to call them away from them into a picked bean field or pasture so they have to run a ways to reach cover. Usually, you will hear them coming, hit the light and start shooting.

Oh, if you can get some kind of rabbit decoy that moves around while you are calling, it really improves the odds of getting yotes within range.

Good Luck!!

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I recently came across permssion on an old farm with a huge, abandoned barn on it. Lots of crumbling wooden outbuildings as well, a decaying orchard, and about 8 acres of cut corn. My idea was to get a rabbit distress call and one of those moving decoys and lay in the loft of the barn with the two big doors open. Just see what comes up there I guess. I heard critters of all kinds lke old abondoned barns and such. Is this true? Does my idea sound dumb?

Question #2. I was out there a day or two ago clearing a bit of brush. There is a dead tree stump there and a large branch (12" in dameter) had fallen across the dead tree and was parallel to the ground. It had rotted out a bit and was about 4 feet off the ground resting on the dead tree stump. Anyway, I saw some rather fresh fecal material in the rotted branch. Like some critter had sat there and taken a dump -- a big dump. This looked like something you'd see froma 40-50 pound dog. Lots of corn and vegetable material in the turds.

What could that have been? It would have had to climb up or jump up to that log. Any ideas?
              "We subscribe to the idea that there's no such thing as failure. There's just giving up. We do not give up. We are relentless." -- The Edge, U2

Comment

I say take the approach my dad did last year while pheasant hunting. Just step on the stupid thing then once it growls at you then try and pop it. That was the most bizarre thing having him cursing a Coyote because it nearly gave him a heart attack, then seeing the stupid thing run right in front of me to get away from him. Although I think the Coyote was laughing as he ran by...:lol: :lol:

J.T.

Comment

Quest # 2 answer: Coon

Comment

Working...
                  X