puppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomich
    hey lablvr, not to be rude but I am holding on to a copy of Waterdog right know copyright date 1995 by an author named Richard A Wolters
    ME too......:d

Maybe D.L Walters wrote a similiar book - I don't know.

Regardless, if you are serious about training the pup yourself..... Water Dog by Richard Wolters is a great book.

Comment

I don't have the $$$ to spend on obedience school I'm only 4 months out of college. I do think that it would be money well spent. There are few things as annoying as a dog that won't follow basic commands. Maybe they could teach the lil' guy that my leg is not a chew toy.
      "To me it looks like we're layin traps for a couple rats in the garage, when theres a family of bears runnin wild in the house." - from a different message board post

Comment

Are you looking to train the pup for upland or waterfowl? Or both?

Comment

We are both right

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?follow-pro=1&vwcatalog=gundog&catalog=gundog&query=book:%20water%20dog%20by%20d.l.%20wolters

Comment

upland
            "To me it looks like we're layin traps for a couple rats in the garage, when theres a family of bears runnin wild in the house." - from a different message board post

Comment

congrats on the new puppy! one thing is for sure, those types of dogs are VERY smart, and can be trained for hunting, pretty easily. They have a KEEN sense of hunting already, especially if his parents were avid hunting dogs. My 2 cents - back to my corner now

:o
              Dirk Dangle

Comment

I think the book by D.L. Walters is called "Training Retrievers to Handle". Very good book, that is sometimes overlooked because of the popularity of the "Waterdog"/ "Gundog" series. Good luck with the new pup.
                TEAM SKANK.....

Comment

I've heard and read on other forums that the D.L. Walter's books are "out-dated", but I haven't read any of those so I can't comment on them. Like many have said, be patient and consistent. I would also get a program together, Walter or Smartworks for example, and follow them with consistancy. Don't expect much from your dog it's first season, it's a huge learning expereince for the both of you.

For know, I would find someone to give you some wings and get that dog fired up about birds now!!! Don't worry too much about obedience for now, I would do some "sit" and "here", but don't be hard on the dog let him be a puppy. Spend as much time with him as possible, take him everywhere you can, the bond between the two of you will be strong and exposing him to new surrondings will pay off in the long run.

Like Ty said, I would consider joining a retriever club, I know it's the best thing I did for me and my dog. I joined Elkorn Valley HRC when it first started and I had probably your avg. hunting dog with far below avg obedience. The other, more experienced members helped me alot with everything, my dog went from being able to only do simple singles to complex triples, big blinds, and excellent line/blind manners, which is really nice if you hunt waterfowl. It's also nice to not have to leave the blind to pick up birds. I got hooked on hunt tests, which tests aren't for everyone, but it makes you keep your dog in "hunting season" year round.

Elkorn Valley HRC will be having a meeting the beginning of November, I'll post up more info on that when I get it lined up.

Comment

Working...
                  X