goose jerky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: goose jerky

i,m trying to making jurky using my oven, i,ve been told that the jurky mix from walmart is ok, anyone use it and how much time and temp, to do the job, my first time, please help, thanks,

yeah, if the mix is Hi Mountain jerky cure I do mine at about 175 in the oven for about 2:15, and goose does make good jerky!

Comment

I use the Hi Mountain brand also. Basically just follow the directions on the box.

Alex
      They have cometh

Comment

jerky.

i just finished one batch, i used robertsons cajun mix, it turned out ok, where did you guy,s buy the Hy mountain mix at, thanks ,al,

Comment

My brother uses the NESCO brand of seasoning from Wal-Mart. I have personally ate more than my share and can say that it is excellent. He actually makes his on the dehydrator instead of the oven or smoker.

Comment

Got the Hi Mountain stuff from Bass Pro/Scheels. I think some grocery stores sell it also.

Alex
            They have cometh

Comment

i've done it in the oven and it turned out just fine, i think i baked it at 180ish and i was thinking i had it in for about 8 hours (but i made be mistaken, it was a couple years ago). i made my own marinade with terriaki sauce, tabasco, and some other things that i can get to you in a couple of days.

Comment

Yup, 6-8 hours at about 180 works great for goose and deer whole meat jerky. I usually slice mine about 1/4 inch thick or so. I like to use the Cabelas varieties of seasonings, almost all of them are good.

Comment

When I used goose I ground it and then mixed it 50-50 with ground deer and it turned out great. If I use the oven, I only have it in for about 2-2 1/2 hours at 170 or so, but the dehidrater it take about 7 or 8 with ground meat.

Comment

here's the recipe i use

4 pounds of Goose breast sliced thin
                    2 Cups Teriyaki Sauce
                    2 Tbs. Black Pepper
                    2 Tbs. Garlic powder
                    2 Tbs. Liquid Smoke
                    2 Tbs. Tabasco Sauce
                    1 Tbs. Red Pepper
                    1 Tbs. Meat Tenderizer
                    1 Tbs. Mrs. Dash Seasoning
                    Mix all ingredients together in a large covered bowl. Add the Goose strips and mix to make sure all the Goose is covered. Refrigerate over night. Remove Goose from marinade and put in Smoker or Dehydrator. Cook on Medium until Jerky is dry but not hard. Freeze to store for extended periods of time. This is a great snack for hunting and fishing trips!

Comment

How well would this recipe work with turkey or pheasant breasts? Got some I need to get rid of, and this sounds like a great way to do it.

Aaron

TA2D
                      WE STOLE THE EAGLE FROM THE AIR FORCE, THE ANCHOR FROM THE NAVY AND THE ROPE FROM THE ARMY.
                      ON THE SEVENTH DAY WHILE GOD RESTED, WE OVERRAN HIS PERIMETER, STOLE THE GLOBE AND WE'VE BEEN RUNNING THE WHOLE SHOW EVER SINCE

Comment

I think it would be a crime to do it with pheasant,they're too good fixed other ways.

Alex
                        They have cometh

Comment

Originally posted by TA2D View Post
                          How well would this recipe work with turkey or pheasant breasts? Got some I need to get rid of, and this sounds like a great way to do it.

Aaron

TA2D

It works well with them. I have made lots of pheasant that I couldn't eat otherways into jerky. The only thing is that its really tender jerky. It's not your typical jerky but still delicious.
                          Shoot 'em in the lips

It'll be aight, they make more

Comment

Working...
                          X