fall turkey hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fall turkey hunting

im new to the turkey hunting scene, ive got great land to hunt, it has tons of birds, and ive heard that you hunt them differently in the fall than you do in the spring. ive been told to just go around until you find them or go to a creek with alot of trees, or even scatter them and call them in in smaller groups. whats the best way to hunt for them?

I am also new to the scene, but from the info I have read, turkey hunting in the fall is really similar to hunting pheasants. Turkeys in the fall flock together, where as in the spring I beleive the Tom is alone hunting down females, so you have to call to them. I look for cover along creek beds or divisions in fields. On a good note I went scouting down on the land that I can hunt and right when we pulled up there were two groups of turkeys on both sides of the road in the trees.

J.T.

Comment

Originally posted by lunkerman
      im new to the turkey hunting scene, ive got great land to hunt, it has tons of birds, and ive heard that you hunt them differently in the fall than you do in the spring. ive been told to just go around until you find them or go to a creek with alot of trees, or even scatter them and call them in in smaller groups. whats the best way to hunt for them?
      Fall Turkey hunting is very different from spring turkey hunting...it's all based on the birds' behaviors. In the spring, Turkeys are interested in mating, and therefore, calls etc. are based on their fancy little mating ritual. In the fall, however, Turkeys are more interested in feeding and group up, usually with the older males separating from the rest.

Fall Turkeys will be located in and around their primary food source, although they also tend to roam quite a bit as well, but, again, they key in on their fall food source. Once you find your turkeys, the idea is that you scatter the birds by running into them screaming like an idiot (I'm not kidding either 8) ). Now you want to SCATTER them in all different directions. If they all head off in the same direction, it wont be helpful. Once you've scattered your birds, set up in a good, covered location anywhere from 50 to 100 yards from where you scatter your birds. After about 30 minutes, you begin calling them back with a yelp-type call (Imagine what you would sound like if you were a Turkey scattered from all your buddies...that type of call). Because the Turkeys are interested in bunching up, they'll soon start calling as well until the group is met up. Your calling should work to attract those Turkeys back to your new location.

Anyway, that's the gist of it all. It's certainly a little more complicated than this, but it should give you a good idea. Do a little reading from other sources on line, in books, etc.

Hope this helps.

Deas

Comment

I know what you mean about them grouping. They like to group around my living room door, like this:

They seem to like the fresh dirt in my yard that I want to plant grass in:

These "WILD" turkey are quite curios:

Good luck hunting everyone.
        A good day at work will pay for a lot of bad days fishing!

Comment

cool pics!! good luck everyone, remember to take plenty of pics!:zcpic:
          Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

I want to try turkey hunting w/ a .22 this year. Honestly. Headshots. I'll report my success when the time comes!

Comment

Originally posted by fishsplash
              I want to try turkey hunting w/ a .22 this year. Honestly. Headshots. I'll report my success when the time comes!

Well, I wouldn't try that in NE!!!

From the 2006 NE Hunting Guide

LEGAL WEAPONS for TURKEY

Firearm Season
              Shotgun only, 10 gauge or smaller. Shells containing shot size 2 to 7½ only. Slugs are illegal. It is unlawful to have a loaded shotgun (magazine included) in a vehicle while on a public road.
              Become the change in the world that you seek.

Comment

Originally posted by Catfishsteve
                Originally posted by fishsplash

Well, I wouldn't try that in NE!!!

From the 2006 NE Hunting Guide

LEGAL WEAPONS for TURKEY

Firearm Season
                Shotgun only, 10 gauge or smaller. Shells containing shot size 2 to 7½ only. Slugs are illegal. It is unlawful to have a loaded shotgun (magazine included) in a vehicle while on a public road.
                :zyeathat:
                Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

You could just try to tackle the turkey and wring his neck, or slit his throat, or whatever.
                  -B. Stark

Comment

Originally posted by Stark
                    You could just try to tackle the turkey and wring his neck, or slit his throat, or whatever.
                    Or do what I do with quail: carefully pattern your shotgun so that you can put a single #8 pellet behind the bird's ear; that way you don't ruin any of the meat. Of course, sometimes I get excited during a covey rise and only get two out of three. :zwhist:
                    �I think every happy memory plucks a hair from your head; if you see an old bald guy, he�s probably had a great life.� �-Red Green

Comment

Another method is to find out where they are roosting and wait for them to fly down from the roost early in the morning. You have to scout them the day before and get there before the sun comes up...........................JIM:zbowhunti

Comment

Working...
                      X