Pheasant Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant Numbers

It seems like early in the spring and during the summer I was seeing a lot of pheasants and quail out in the country. Lately I have been seeing hardly any. Even some farmers I've talked to have said they aren't seeing a lot when harvesting. I rememer harvests that were just lousy with them. I have been seeing a lot more predators; hawks, coyotes, foxes... I hope that this trend doesn't continue. Anyone else seeing the same?
    "To me it looks like we're layin traps for a couple rats in the garage, when theres a family of bears runnin wild in the house." - from a different message board post

Ive seen quite a few out on the family farm lately that are still really young yet. Im hoping it should be a good year. Weather was good for an early hatch.

Comment

Try giving this a try...this will give you a better idea. For the most part, this is the second year in a row that Nebraska has made some gains in pheasant numbers in several parts of the state. Also, quail numbers are rebounding in the south eastern portion of the state...

Nebraska Upland Game Hunting Outlook...

Deas

Comment

Colder weather seems to be bringing them out. I'm, again, seeing a ton around the Bennington area. It's almost opening weekend.

Deas

Comment

Have been seeing a few more birds as well. Always fun to see. I heard for the upland forecasts put out by the game and parks they have the rural mail carriers take counts. Is there any truth to that? As fast as my mailman drives I can't believe he can see a mailbox let alone a bird.
          "To me it looks like we're layin traps for a couple rats in the garage, when theres a family of bears runnin wild in the house." - from a different message board post

Comment

True.

Which is part of the problem with getting good accurate counts. The work load is heavy and the pay for pheasant surveys is nill!

I will stick with my GSP survey come NOV.

I don't get up north like I use to it seems harder to get permission then western or southern parts of the State.

That and many of the CRP Fields went back to corn or beans a few year back.

Still boosts some of the best numbers in the state for pheasants :zthumbup:
            Just cuz you've got a brush dont make you a painter

Eighty percent of success is showing up.

RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICT SINCE April 6th 2008

Comment

The lower numbers could also be from the fact that they know the opener is only 3 weeks away... The do seem to get smarter this time of year
              "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

I personally cant wait till the opener!!
                Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

Originally posted by BPbowhunter
                  I personally cant wait till the opener!!
                  :zyeathat: . The closer we get the less productive I get...I hear you, BP.

Deas

Comment

Working...
                  X