Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Deer From a Pop-Up Blind...

Hiya,

My friend and I are hunting public land in eastern Illinois for the first time ever. Unfortunately I messed up my back, so hunting out of a climber is out of the question, and you can't leave a ladder stand up. We have decided to split a pop-up deer blind... unfortunately, you can't leave the deerblind up for a few days prior to hunting. As we are new to hunting public land, archery and deer blinds in general any help and advice on coverup scents, blind placement, etc would be greatly appreciated! Just so you know, we may be new to bowhunting, but we have practiced real hard all summer to become good shots, we know our limitations (in terms of distance and difficulty), and we have scouted out the area that we are going to hunt... but hey, any advice will greatly appreciated, too... especially on the etiquette of hunting public land. We don't want to accidentaly offend someone! Wow, I could have used three threads for this...

Thanks!

osvcat

Yea as far as a pop up blind goes I have had one for quite some time,and it tends to work fairly decent I have taken two does out of it on public land. The biggest things is make sure you spray it down good with some kind of scent elimination spray. The two does were taken out of corn Fields at about 20 yards SO if you plan right and put the blind in some kind of cover you should be fine. The biggest thing is make sure the blind is scent free and doesn't make a lot of noise in the wind. Hope I was some kind of help
    good hunting
    Chris

Comment

I hunt from a pop up whenever the set up does not offer a good tree stand. Just a couple things, it is darker in the blind, if possible you might want to invest in some type of sight illumination device. Also, before you go in the field I would also suggest that you set it up and take a few practice shots. In my blind I have to kneel to shoot. Good luck!
      I'd rather be fishing for reds......

Comment

Thanks guys, you were both helpful! I've a lot of tinkering to do... I'll now be making my blind wind-proof and buying one of those tru-glo add on lights. Finding out online is always a lot easier than finding out this weekend!

Thanks for the advice!

osvcat

Comment

what kind of pop up blind are you using? If its a double bull then jsut remember to spray them down with scent spray and brush them in for deer, also use the shoot thru netting for deer. If it's not a double bull then you want to try to get it in the shade and really brush it in spray it down good. Good luck this season!:2thumbup:
          Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

Yeah, I really wanted a Double Bull... but couldn't afford it. On a students salary, I would have needed to sell my car! I ended up getting an Ameristep Doghouse TSC (total scent control). It has the shoot through netting, and supposedly some descent scent containment properties... we'll find out Sunday morning!

Thanks,

osvcat

Comment

A rep for a blind manufacture suggested that I take muddy water and a paint brush to go over a new blind to take the shine of the fabric. Also set blind in cover like ceder tree or in front of tree to break up the outline.

winterhawk9

Comment

good luck osvcat!
                Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

Working...
                X