• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THans
    started a topic Wyo Elk Hunt

Wyo Elk Hunt

Hi All -

I've been browsing this Forum for a week or so now.....good stuff. I enjoy reading these topics and stories more than Outdoor Life or any of the other mags - despite the bad grammar and misspellings!! So, I decided to join in and thought I'd share some of my recent fun....

I left Blair about 5:00 pm Friday, Sept 8th, drove through Valentine to pickup my buddies and then on to Casper, WYO to pickup another. We arrived at our camp site around 11:00 am Saturday. We changed and headed up the mountain for a look around. Hunted until near dark and went back to camp for a good nights sleep. Sunday headed way up with all our gear to set up a spike camp. It was about 4 miles up, (around 2500 feet) on top of a ridge. Once on top, several valleys opened up for much easier access without the initial climb. We hunted hard Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday. Monday we ended up several valleys away and estimated it was a 20 miler by the time we ended up back in camp. The elk were talking a little, but were not responsive to our calling - just a little too early and would not cooperate with the calling. So we were pretty much spot and stalking, so we started hunting solo. Wednesday the Elk Gods smiled upon me. A beautiful 6X6 bull stepped 22 yds from me and my arrow was true. He didn't know what hit him - jumped and hopped at impact, then stood there looking around around until the knees got weak and the eyes rolled back in his head. He fell not 15 yards from me.... as I was still shaking and trembling from the adrenaline and pure awe of the moments. Hope the pics turn out right, if not I'll have to repost.

Troy
    (I don't have a catchy, pro-hunting quote or phrase....yet)

• QuackerTracker
    replied
    MNT MUZZY you lived my dream I hope before the Good Lord takes me from this Earth I can go on a Elk hunt. GOOD JOB:zclap: :2thumbup: :zclap: :2thumbup: :zclap: :2thumbup: :zclap:

Leave a comment:

• jimbosan
    replied
    very nice muzzy's i presume!

Leave a comment:

• BPbowhunter
    replied
    Awesome congratulations on the succesful hunt.

Leave a comment:

• Catfishsteve
    replied
    Heck of a deal, Mtn Muzzy! Welcome to the site and thank you so much for sharing your great story. It's guys like you and hunts like that the make this place what it is? Good job on that elk!! :zclap:

Who's next?!

Leave a comment:

• Storm
    replied
    Suddenly the hiking seemed much easier - the pains just fade away!
    Funny how that works ... Big congrats :zthumbup: ...

Leave a comment:

• ghjr
    replied
    Congrats...that looks like a nice time out there.

J.T.

Leave a comment:

• THans
    replied

Oops, forgot to reply to the pack out question. I ended up a couple miles south of our base camp where I got him. Fortunately it was only 500 yds up and out of the burned/blow down area to a nice horse trail, and coincidently there was a group of guys with horses camped by our base camp. Me and my buddies each hauled a quarter up to the trail, and I made a 2nd trip for the head and horns. Our horse neighbors gladly packed him down for a couple of cases of beer......money well spent! Plus it let my buddies continue hunting while I dealt with getting him down the mountain. Their horses were a little spooked by the head and horns so I took that out on my back - which was the heaviest load of all but it wasn't too bad (that cloud 9 thing again). It wouldn't have been a bad pack out, but figured might as well let my buddies keep hunting, save the wear and tear on us, and the horsers were glad to do it.

Man, he is one tasty critter! Absolutely great meat. I think the combination of him not running after the shot, (no heat build up, plus I got him quartered out right away since I didn't have to follow a blood trail) and getting him down and in coolers right away made all the difference. My 13 month old daughter devoured a whole steak by herself the other night....real glad she's a meat eater!

Leave a comment:

• THans
    replied
    Originally posted by DeasNutz
    I bet you were on cloud 9 after that shot.

:2thumbup: .

Deas
    Cloud 9 to say the least! Suddenly the hiking seemed much easier - the pains just fade away!

There were 2 other elk hunters in my group. One took a shot at a cow earlier in the week, but just plain missed. The other had a shot late Thursday, but it wasn't broad side, it was raining hard, and late in the day so he passed. The other guy we were with (Wyo resident) didn't have a elk permit for the area we were in, but did have a deer tag, so he was chasing the muleys. Us elk hunters saw alot of real nice deer, and he saw most of the elk......funny how that works.

Leave a comment:

• fast-pirogue
    replied
    Congrats, sometimes things just work out. Good job.

Leave a comment:

• winterhawk9
    replied
    Great Post Mnt Muzzy! How did the rest of you group do? Any shots? How did you pack the critter out?

Winterhawk9

Leave a comment:

• OutdoorProf
    replied
    Nice hunting, Mnt! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I bet you were on cloud 9 after that shot.

:2thumbup: .

Deas

Leave a comment:

• Ty S
    replied
    DUDE!

I can only imagine the adrenaline. Id be freaking out. I just want to shoot me a cow elk but a nice bull with a bow. You need your hand shaken! Way to go. That is really a accomplishment.

Leave a comment:

• Keith S.
    replied
    Congrats on a successful bowhunt, great story. :zclap:

Leave a comment:

• AnglerX
    replied
    awesome!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X