X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BPbowhunter
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter brian
    :lol: "Another option would be to wrap your body in saran wrap (except for you nose and mouth, you gotta breathe MAN)..
    LOL!!

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter brian
    replied
    :lol: "Don't eat meat prior to hunting", now that's funny, I don't care who you are.. Another option would be to wrap your body in saran wrap (except for you nose and mouth, you gotta breathe MAN)..

Leave a comment:

• tomich
    replied
    Never heard the don't eat meat 1-2 weeks prior to hunting thing, maybe thats my problem:zhuh:

Leave a comment:

• BPbowhunter
    replied
    Eliminate scent as best as you can and also try to stay as motionless as you can.:zbowhunti

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter brian
    replied
    jimboson is right on target. I generally hang-hunt-remove the stand the same day. I have some exceptions, however. I do have a couple of nice funnels that can be hunted without educating all the deer in the area. In other words, if you can get to and from the stand without being detected (I walk down the middle of a small stream) and you don't get busted on the stand you can hunt it more frequently (I have some semi-permanent stands in these areas). There are a ton of variables. If you are in a good spot, you might be able to get away with hunting it more than once a week if the wind is right, but do not overdo it. Now, if you did a ton of scouting around and tree trimming, you might want to let the deer calm down for 3 or 4 days before you hunt. As the rutt approaches, you need not be as concerned about making the area look different because alot of the bucks that roam through are out of their core areas anyway and won't know what it looked like before you showed up. Good Luck!!

Leave a comment:

• jimbosan
    replied
    Ruttin,
    IMO scent control is very important but probably not as important as paying close attention to wind direction. I would try as hard as I could to be as scent free as possible but I wouldn't go so far as to not eat meat for two weeks before a hunt. After all the woods are full of critters that eat meat on a regular basis but deer still live there. If the wind is not favorable for your particular stand location no matter what one does to eliminate scent its best not to hunt that particular stand, no matter how tempting it is. The length of time that must elapse before one can hunt a stand after its erected? Well lets put it this way, I hunt them immediately, I believe in the element of surprise, as a matter of fact I seldom leave a stand in the same location two days in a row. Its a little bit more work but well worth it, it doesn't take deer long to pattern the hunter, if a hunter does anything in the deer woods often enough the deer will catch on and with few exceptions you wont score. I use either a climber or a lone wolf hang on with climbing sticks to facilitate this philosophy, I can get up a tree in less than 10 minutes in most cases and be in spots deer have never seen a stand before, the element of surprise is a powerful thing.:zbowhunti...jim

Leave a comment:

• Mikey
    replied
    Fish recycler, FYI As soon as you can after contact with P.O. scrub the area with water and a little bleach (30 to 1) mixed in it gets rid of the oil from the plant and stops it from spreading to other shall we say more sensitive parts of the anatomy.

Leave a comment:

• Chum
    replied
    as far as scent elimination goes i don't use scented deodorant or cologne all fall. i wash in unscented soap for all showers and i wear 2 carbon suits and spray down with carbon blast. seems to work because i have snuck up on four does this year already and they were all down wind of me. so in my opinion those carbon suits work and are worth their weight in gold. just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Fish Recycler,

That's pretty cool, sounds like a lot of fun, except for the poison oak. I always see quite a few deer when I'm out turkey hunting int he spring and as long as I'm downwind, can manage to get pretty close to them or they get pretty close to me. I'm in a new area for bow hunting, but I think I should see quite a few, I just hope they'll come close enough to my stand. There's so much stuff out there you can buy for scent blocking, but I've heard much of it doesn't work anyway and they'll still smell you if they're upwind of you. I guess I'll find out in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the tips.

Leave a comment:

• Fish Recycler
    replied
    I am not a deer hunter, but I did go out to photograph some a week or so ago. My wife and I saw a good sized herd while walking our dog, and among them a nice little 6 or 8 point buck.

I put on my camo and went back a few days later. I knew their general route, so tried to stay down-wind of them. I got within a very short distance of a pair of does feeding along a fence line just by crawling up over a levee and photographing them while lying in the grass.

Many deer - at least 2 dozen - were in an adjacent bean field as dusk settled in. It was separated from the river's riparian woods by a levee, then a shallow ditch with 30' - 60' tree buffer. I sat in the edge of the buffer 20-30 feet down-wind of a well-worn trail, and deer walked into the field right next to me, as I sat in the weeds.

In my bumbling around to get pictures, I spooked a bunch of them, but there were a pair of deer in a shallow depression in the field. I crawled through the beans toward them until they lifted their heads to look at me. Out of curiosity, I suppose, they nervously made their way toward me. They walked to within a short stone's throw, then finally spooked as I snapped a couple photos. They snorted, and then ran a circle around me and away through the beans.

I suspect that if you are quite still, in camoflouge, generally try not to stink, and are using well-worn travel routes, you'll see deer.

In addition to a couple of fair shots, I got a raging case of poison oak that night, however - still with me, and no fun.

Leave a comment:

• winchester70
    replied
    godnt say if bow or rifle huntimg.if bow would not be in the areas to much.but with either if can sit back with binos and see what comes out.

Leave a comment:

• CatCouple
    replied
    Although I'm a Novice myself, I would imagine, if the deer are down wind, there are no measures to extreme to removing scent, however if the deer are up wind, probably not a big deal

-Bill

Leave a comment:

• Catfishsteve
    replied
    The more you can do to eliminate scent from your body, gear and clothes, the better. A deer sometimes won't believe his eyes when he spots you at 50 ft. and won't bolt. (if you stay still), but they can smell you at a quarter mile or better on the wind and they always believe their nose and cut out fast.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Deer Hunting for the Beginner

Deer Hunting for the Beginner

I just did a bunch of scouting yesterday on a new place I'll be hunting this year and set up a tree stand. How long should I wait for things to settle down before starting to hunt out of that stand? I'm a novice when it comes to deer hunting, especially with my bow, so I need some advice. Also, to what extreme do I need to go to eliminate my scent? I've heard of people not eating meat for a couple weeks before the season starts, scentless shampoos, soaps, etc., but I'm not sure if I'm willing to make that kind of a commitment.
Working...
X