Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iowa man faces fines for shooting mountain lion

By Jackie Mora. CREATED 4:52 AM
    CRAWFORD, Neb. (KMTV) -An Iowa man is facing $1,500 in fines for shooting a mountain lion out of season in Nebraska.

The 23-year-old man was hunting deer on Saturday at the Ponderosa Wildlife Management Area in Dawes County.

According to the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission he contacted law enforcement officials that night. Officials later recovered the mountain lion.

Officials believe the female mountain lion had cubs. They are trying to locate them, and will attempt to place them in zoos.

The name of the man has not been released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" ~ Lee Wulff

Bummer! Given that the man was fined, I'm guessing that he wasn't directly threatened. Maybe he was visiting from the moon and didn't know there was a season for them and a permit process. The "rest of the story" will be interesting. Guess we know where the old saying "shoot it just to look at it" came from.

Comment

I was just out there over Labor Day weekend. A little crazy...but not surprising for an Iowan to be shooting one when there is no risk of it hurting himself or others.

Comment

Originally posted by milesej05 View Post
        I was just out there over Labor Day weekend. A little crazy...but not surprising for an Iowan to be shooting one when there is no risk of it hurting himself or others.
        Happened up here by Creighton just a couple years ago, with nearly the same story. Kid claimed it was "coming right for him" but all of the damage was done to the backside of the cat. Not that I would dare defend Iowegians, just that it could have just as easily been a Nebraskan kid.

Comment

Guess the rule that it is your responsibility to know what's legal and what isn't no longer applies. Had a judge tell me 50 years ago "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" man was he stupid. Plus you can thank him for giving Ernie more ammunition this year.

Comment

Probably forgot he was West of the MO river. Unless things have changed in IA mtn loin's are treated like coyotes over there. No season 24/7

Comment

Originally posted by thumpper View Post
              Probably forgot he was West of the MO river. Unless things have changed in IA mtn loin's are treated like coyotes over there. No season 24/7
              I think what you mean is that the season is CLOSED 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by michael.magorian View Post
                Happened up here by Creighton just a couple years ago, with nearly the same story. Kid claimed it was "coming right for him" but all of the damage was done to the backside of the cat. Not that I would dare defend Iowegians, just that it could have just as easily been a Nebraskan kid.
                Seemed be in self defense to me. 10 feet away would seem like self defense

http://journalstar.com/news/state-an...513e393ad.html

Comment

Originally posted by yote69301 View Post
                  Seemed be in self defense to me. 10 feet away would seem like self defense

http://journalstar.com/news/state-an...513e393ad.html
                  Laffin here. Self defense? Really? Lets see here, Officer I killed him cuz I was threatened, I mean he was 10 ft away threatening me , So I shot him in the arse only clear shot I had. What was the cat threatening him with? Gas attack?

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty57 View Post
                    Laffin here. Self defense? Really? Lets see here, Officer I killed him cuz I was threatened, I mean he was 10 ft away threatening me , So I shot him in the arse only clear shot I had. What was the cat threatening him with? Gas attack?
                    Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky_Buster View Post
                      I think what you mean is that the season is CLOSED 24/7.
                      NEGATIVE SEASON IS OPEN 24/7 Or at least it used to be unless it was changed in the last year or two.

There was NOTHING on the books in regards to mtn loins and they were able to be shot/killed at will if you were able to see/find one.

Comment

Quick search:
                        http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/uploads/education/Species/mammals/mountain_lion.pdf

CURRENT STATUS OF MOUNTAIN LIONS IN IOWA
                        Mountain lions have no legal wildlife status in Iowa. That means that they can be taken and possessed by anyone at anytime as long as legal methods and means are used to take the animal. Mountain lions and black bears are not listed in the Iowa Code as designated wildlife species,

Comment

There was a big hoopla a while back when a dnr employee shot shot a black bear.

Comment

Originally posted by thumpper View Post
                            Quick search:
                            http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/uploads/education/Species/mammals/mountain_lion.pdf

CURRENT STATUS OF MOUNTAIN LIONS IN IOWA
                            Mountain lions have no legal wildlife status in Iowa. That means that they can be taken and possessed by anyone at anytime as long as legal methods and means are used to take the animal. Mountain lions and black bears are not listed in the Iowa Code as designated wildlife species,
                            I think you're correct. I was thinking of wolves, which Iowa has a closed season on. I'm surprised mountain loins aren't protected as well.

Comment

I come from Iowa, grew up there, and I even know there is a season for mountain lion here in Nebraska. He should have been up to date on his laws as soon as he crossed the mighty Missouri River.

With that said, we can only speculate on what really happened whether the animal charged him or was running away. I don't believe any of us were there to see what happened.

Sad really, for the animal and the hunter. The animal is protected unless you have a tag on pocket. Therefore should have been left alone. And the hunter for giving the rest of us who follow the rules and know the rules before hunting a bad name.

Really wish people showed more respect. I love to be outdoors and hunt and for someone to be an idiot makes it more difficult for the rest of us to keep this great privilege we have.

Comment

Working...
                              X