Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to take up Dove hunting again after a long hiatus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Looking to take up Dove hunting again after a long hiatus...

For someone living in the Omaha / Lincoln area are there any good public lands to start swinging on the doves and introduce the sport to the kiddos?

Originally posted by RedEyeGuy View Post
    For someone living in the Omaha / Lincoln area are there any good public lands to start swinging on the doves and introduce the sport to the kiddos?
    Dove Hunting Season

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

yes. Might lose a lot of them with this cold front coming.
      They have cometh

Comment

Thanks Daryl, I did read that article earlier and I have maps printed out of the region so I may try to hit a few this weekend. I know the upper 40's Sat AM could move them out quickly but hoping others up north will move in.

I am not familiar with the public lands around this end of the state as I only hunted for birds growing up out west... so I am hoping someone could maybe eliminate those places that would be a waste of time, not asking for anyone to give p their fav spots but a point in the right direction is always appreciated!

Not sure how my shell to bird ratio will be after so many years!

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyeGuy View Post
          Thanks Daryl, I did read that article earlier and I have maps printed out of the region so I may try to hit a few this weekend. I know the upper 40's Sat AM could move them out quickly but hoping others up north will move in.

I am not familiar with the public lands around this end of the state as I only hunted for birds growing up out west... so I am hoping someone could maybe eliminate those places that would be a waste of time, not asking for anyone to give p their fav spots but a point in the right direction is always appreciated!

Not sure how my shell to bird ratio will be after so many years!
          Those places listed in that news release all have sunflower plots mostly just for attracting doves.

Look for the sunflowers.M_wink:

Daryl B.
          Daryl Bauer
          Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
          Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
          [email protected]
          http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Thanks Daryl!:vThumbsUp:

Comment

Hunted sunflower plots on south side of Branched Oak on Tuesday evening.

Good number of birds moving around and a lot of room to hunt.

If only my aim was better - I wouldn't keep getting dirtly looks from my pup.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Scott, may give that a go tomorrow after work.

Comment

Just get in your truck and head south looking for wheat fields. Try to find a wheat field with tree lines on the north or south side of it.

I don't think I've every had a farmer say no to dove hunting. Don't forget your Mojo Dove.

Just got back from teal hunting and there are still alot of doves around this morning.

Comment

Working...
                  X