Tell us about Hunting Land Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell us about Hunting Land Lost

Post your stories here about land lost due to outfitters, guides etc. Personally I have lost access to right around 250,000 acres. I would like to here everyone elses stories
    Last edited by yote69301; 08-24-2014, 12:06 PM.

You've lost 250,000 acres? How much private land in acres do you currently have to hunt on?

Comment

:dead_horse:

Continually added access to properties over the years.

Comment

I have lost several spots due to habitat removal, property being sold, or a landowners family member decided they want to give deer hunting a whirl. I have added some new property to the list over the last few years, and luckily I have more places to hunt than I have time to hunt.

Comment

Honestly I have lost more access to habitat removal than leases. Ethanol is the dang enemy IMO!

Comment

:dead_horse:

We get it already. Every person on this forum knows that you have lost so much private property to hunt on blah blah blah.

I used to have a spot to rifle hunt for deer in the sand hills. I lost that place once the landowners changed. But I bet none of you knew that because I don't whine about it every day on an internet forum.

You need to learn to adapt. The world around you is changing and you aren't willing to accept change. You are the person that is directly responsible for losing hunting opportunities. For example, I don't rifle hunt in the sand hills anymore. I spent some time south of where I live (eastern half of the state) knocking on doors and meeting people. I now have property to bow hunt less than 20 minutes from my house. You yourself have stated, as well as shown by your pictorial in another thread, that any animal harvested by you and or your family is a trophy. I completely agree with you on that, I think that time spent with your loved ones is the trophy in itself. FYI, I hunt almost exclusively on public property for ducks, and I shoot plenty of them.

So, in conclusion I guess...why aren't you able to hunt public property with your family...if the time spent with your family is truly the trophy? :xIDunno:

Comment

I would love to have had "just" 10,000 acres available. Just did some quick figures...if 197 people also lost the land you mentioned, the whole state of Nebraska would be gone. Not just accessible land, but the entire state. I saw that there are now 6000 members on the forum back on the home page. We all have to learn to get along.
              Last edited by jg; 08-25-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

You should feel fortunate that you had free access and opportunity for so many years to hunt such good land in such great quantities. Most hunters never do.

Like many have said, I've abandoned more land due to habitat loss than I've lost for other reasons.
                Last edited by KD; 08-25-2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

And unfortunately many walk in areas were lost due to the acres taken out of the CRP program. Corn has dropped a lot from the past couple year highs and with the reports of a record breaking harvest, expect that price to drop even farther. We need a new program to keep marginal land out of production and make putting in acres more attractive to farmers otherwise this will continue to be a problem not only in NE but all over. We have to stop the boom or bust way of business.
                  "Beer does not make you fat, it makes you lean - against poles, bars, tables and stools!

Comment

I've lost a little due to leases, and mainly habitat loss. I still have good luck on some public areas. You just got to put in the time to find them.
                    Keeper of the Blue Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Chasin 'eyes View Post
                      And unfortunately many walk in areas were lost due to the acres taken out of the CRP program. Corn has dropped a lot from the past couple year highs and with the reports of a record breaking harvest, expect that price to drop even farther. We need a new program to keep marginal land out of production and make putting in acres more attractive to farmers otherwise this will continue to be a problem not only in NE but all over. We have to stop the boom or bust way of business.
                      Agreed, this could be good for sportsmen and wildlife.

Now we need to quit subsidizing ethanol and let that berry wither on the vine. It could bring back a much better balance to the ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by AnglerX View Post
                        I've lost a little due to leases, and mainly habitat loss. I still have good luck on some public areas. You just got to put in the time to find them.
                        Are you talking fishing? What are you doing over on the "hunting" side of the forum….hahah Jk. I know you are an accomplished bowhuner, X. The bottom line has been stated….we are in an ever-changing world. You must learn to adapt or you will be left wondering…."what happened". Angler X is right…there is some decent public land to hunt. Especially during times of less pressure like archery and muzzleloader. The only thing that is guaranteed…..is that NOTHING is guaranteed! If you have some land to hunt, enjoy it. If you lost some land (who hasn't) then time is better spend knocking on doors and building relationships then it is complaining. Hunt public, hunt less desirable private that you do have permission on….but continue to hunt. More opportunity will come along. Good luck this fall everyone!
                        Last edited by eyeguy; 08-25-2014, 03:20 PM.
                        Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
                        Lund 1875 Impact Sport
                        Mercury 150 4-Stroke/9.9 ProKicker
                        Humminbird/Minn Kota Terrova

Comment

Originally posted by yote69301 View Post
                          Post your stories here about land lost due to outfitters, guides etc. Personally I have lost access to right around 250,000 acres. I would like to here everyone elses stories
                          yote- It is the only reason I buy lottery tickets:neutral:-Mike

Comment

I took my pup out to our favorite public field this morning for a run and see if we could find a bird or two. Last winter and spring she would always find at least a few pheasants, usually 4-6, sometimes a covey of quail. Was looking forward to seeing some yound birds. Get there and 2/3's of it got mowed and rolled into bales. :sad: What was a few acres of standing corn on the edge of it went to weeds. It might hold a couple birds this season but it basically went to crap for this season. She pointed a single quail in the ankle high stuff.
                            When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

Is this really a thread ??!? Useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X