Sage grouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sage grouse

Has anyone on this forum hunted Wyoming or Montana for sage grouse? Looking for some tips as this may very well be the last season to hunt them.

I believe they already closed Montana's season. And WY doesn't look to be far behind.

Comment

A portion of Montana is still open and they have a 30 day season. But Wyoming is a lot closer and it seems more appealing with trying to do a short hunt.

Comment

Go to the Casper area, or Lander area. Find BLM ground with water and sagebrush and you will find Sage grouse.

Comment

I lived in Wyoming most of my audult life (minus the two years in Nebraska now). Lander, Rawlins, and Kemmerer areas have always been good to me. Find water and tall sage brush and you should have good luck. Some of the best days I have had are after rain. They seems to prefer drinking out of puddles in the road to drinking in ponds (I guess they are proably getting some gravel too). Look for livestock tanks on BLM ground. They seem to be magnets for sage grouse.

Loren

Comment

Originally posted by lkm View Post
            I guess they are proably getting some gravel too.Loren
            Sage-grouse do not need gravel as they do not have a gizzard.

Northeastern Wyoming (Hunt Area 4) has only a three day season, Sept 20-22. Better to hit the areas mentioned near Casper, Lander, Rock Springs (Hunt Area 1). Hunt Areas 2 and 3 are closed.

ClearCreek

Comment

ClearCreek,
              Thanks for the info. I did not realize they did not have a gizzard. I guess I learn something every day. I do know they like puddles in roads though.

Comment

Originally posted by lkm View Post
                ClearCreek,
                Thanks for the info. I did not realize they did not have a gizzard. I guess I learn something every day. I do know they like puddles in roads though.
                lkm:

Unfortunately they do like to drink out of puddles in the middle of a road which makes them very susceptible to being hit by vehicles.

ClearCreek

Comment

Working...
                X