I want to go bison shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to go bison shooting

I've been toying with this for quite a while.

I'd like to shoot a bison (AKA "buffalo") and process it myself. I'm careful not to use the word "hunt" in this context, as the sporting aspect of shooting bison is very questionable. That being said, however, I want to shoot a free range grass-fed bison as opposed to something on a feedlot. I don't want a trophy, as those are extremely expensive. I'd rather shoot a smaller one with better meat.

For meat, I eat wild game almost exclusively (except for the occasional chicken), and I think this would be a good way to stock my freezer with a long term supply of healthy meat. Once all is said and done, the price of the usable meat seems like it could average out to about $6-$8 per pound. This is excluding the cost driving to a ranch and things like processing, since as I already said I can do that myself. This price seems comparable to beef, and I'd love to see all my money go to an independent family business as opposed to the Walmart meat department getting a share of it.

I have found two places that might offer what I'm looking for:

http://www.bluemtnbison.com/

This one is Blue Mountain Bison. They are located in Colorado and seem to have everything I'm asking for for a decent price. The only problem is their website hasn't been updated since like 2009 and they don't answer their phone or emails, so I'm guessing they're out of business or something.

The next one is Crazy Woman Bison Ranch. Again, they seem to offer the things I want for a decent price, but it's a looooong drive to Montana, and after reading their info packet I received in the mail, they said you can't field dress the animal yourself--you have to have a guy from the local slaughterhouse standing over your shoulder so he can field dress it for you after you shoot it. And it costs $140. Just sounds stupid in my opinion.

http://www.crazywomanbison.com/

Anyone know of anything closer to Nebraska where I could shoot a free range bison for market price?

I've already searched the forum, and it appears as though one member did something like this a few years back, but I can't find much info on the place he went (Nishnabotna Bison) and whether or not those were grass fed.
    Last edited by Sky_Buster; 08-19-2014, 01:14 PM.

www.b&b trophy hunts.com. A Nebraska sandhills hunt

Comment

Have you considered drawing a cow bison tag in Wyoming? Its a legit bison hunt on public land on free range bison up around Jackson. I believe cow tags were 100% draw odds this year. Something to look in to.

Comment

http://www.eatbisonmeat.com/webapp/p...uffalo-ranches
        Peace and Love

Comment

Sandhills outfitters. Stuart be.

Comment

If you want truly free range ( without fences) I don't know how you get that without travel.

Comment

turner ranch outfitting does bison hunts in NW Nebraska, they have about 4 ranches to hunt on. Have no idea what they cost but I imagine it's expensive. Custer State Park in SD actually has a "hunt" for cows and trophy bulls. True free range bison hunts it appears are very expensive and very difficult often in pretty tough terrain. The Pink and Henry mountain herds I have been told are some of the wildest and most extreme hunts. Anyways.

Click this thread on bowsite for more info and
              thisone as well This one has some info on a hunt in WY and what it takes to bone and haul it out yourself.

search the site for more, there are lots of bison hunts on this site if you dig.

Comment

http://www.sandhillsoutfitters.com/b..._%20prices.htm

Comment

Wow, thats some expensive meat.

I looked into this several years ago and decided to do a "fenced" hunt. We shot 4 cows for what they charge for 1. It wasn't exactly a feedlot hunt as we had to chase after one in a pickup a good mile after the shot(7mm), but it was fenced. That being said, it wasn't a trophy hunt for us. It was price per pound and we're cheap I guess.

Whatever you decide, be ready for some work.
                  "There's more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than there is hunting with the sureness of a gun" -Fred Bear

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

Perhaps I misused the term "free range." Basically, I just meant a place where there's enough fenced-in land to support grass-fed bison without supplemental feeding. I don't want to shoot one in a place where they're crammed in a feedlot and corn fed, since if I'm doing that, I might as well just buy a beef cow since it kinda becomes the same thing IMHO.

I'm researching all the suggestions on this thread. Keep em coming!

Comment

I watched a T.V. show where they bow hunted bison in Nebraska and Wausa Locker processed the animal. I don't know exactly where it was but if I remember correctly it was on Tribal land. I'm not sure you would call it hunting as they walked up to a herd of 4 or 5 bulls and shot one, apparently they have very poor eyesight. The cape and skull were worth a lot of money and I think the Tribe got to keep them. I wonder if it was the Santee tribe that they hunted on since that is close to Wausa.
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.-Dr. Seuss

Comment

Kreycik's by niobrara has buffalo and elk hunts. I believe there's a place by Atkinson that has buffalo hunts too but don't know the name of them.

Comment

Working...
                        X