Squirrel hunting recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squirrel hunting recommendations

Hi - new forum member here from Kearney. I don't know why I haven't stumbled on this forum before now since it looks like a great resource with plenty of knowledgeable members.

I have very fond memories of chilly early mornings, screaming jays, and wily bushytails running through the canopy while squirrel hunting as a youngster in the southern US. I'm a long time Nebraska resident and I'm now ready to retire and I have time to travel a little to hunt. Can anyone recommend public hunting areas with hardwoods and good squirrel populations? As I said, I'm willing to travel throughout the state in search of good hunting areas.

A little scouting never hurts. Find food sources like walnut trees, grain fields that run right beside mature treelines, and start looking for sign.
    Take a map of public grounds in your area and take a drive. Then go walk a few. Best advice I could give you. Things change each year (crops, weather, etc.) and you just have to go do a little scouting to see where the action is for this upcoming season.
    I can think of lots of public ground that fits your needs for squirrels. You might even consider banging on some doors, not many around here ask to squirrel hunt and you may be surprised and pick up a couple nice more private spots for this. Ask the landowner where he would go, where he sees them, and maybe see if he wants to join you too.
    Just some thoughts.
    if sticking to public ground the hunt guides are a good start but then again go out and check them over personally, you will see which ones will suit your needs.
    jim

Comment

I find the best thing to do is sit quietly waiting for DEER and you are sure to be constantly harassed by a number of those pesky little furballs!
      Got myself a new little hunting dawg! Now the work begins...

Comment

Originally posted by mnms View Post
        I find the best thing to do is sit quietly waiting for DEER and you are sure to be constantly harassed by a number of those pesky little furballs!
        :ayes: Ain't that the truth!

Comment

Working...
        X