Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUPERX
    replied
    Never thought of it that way but that is so true! If deer cant get the nourishment they need with all the corn beans and alfalfa I doubt a trophy block would make much difference in antler development. Salt,salt, salt! I think thats another one of those things thats meant to bag hunters not the hunted.$$$$$$$
    Originally posted by jimbosan View Post
    It may not have real value to the deer but it has value to you. If you can attract and keep does on your property bucks will be sure to come. As far as nutrition goes as "minnowmaker" says Nebraska is a big food plot so I wouldnt worry too much about that. Bomgaars has salt blocks on sale now cheap, go buy some and enjoy attracting all those deer to your hunting spot.

Leave a comment:

• jimbosan
    replied
    It may not have real value to the deer but it has value to you. If you can attract and keep does on your property bucks will be sure to come. As far as nutrition goes as "minnowmaker" says Nebraska is a big food plot so I wouldnt worry too much about that. Bomgaars has salt blocks on sale now cheap, go buy some and enjoy attracting all those deer to your hunting spot.
    Originally posted by whitetailaddict View Post
    I don't use pure salt anymore at all. It really has no value to the deer other than than eat it. There are so many amazing commercially available mineral supplements. They almost all have a percent of salt to get the deer to eat it but the majority of the product is beneficial to the deer, for big strong does and fawns, and big antlers for the bucks.

Leave a comment:

• whitetailaddict
    replied
    I don't use pure salt anymore at all. It really has no value to the deer other than than eat it. There are so many amazing commercially available mineral supplements. They almost all have a percent of salt to get the deer to eat it but the majority of the product is beneficial to the deer, for big strong does and fawns, and big antlers for the bucks.

Leave a comment:

• chuck_5
    replied
    I think I would stay away from ice melt. You could buy a bag of loose cattle salt for around the same price. Im not 100% sure the ice melt is animal safe.

Leave a comment:

• SUPERX
    replied
    That makes good sense! I think that would be a low cost way of providing NACL to the soil! Walmart has snow melt rock salt for under 5bucks for a 50# bag.
    Originally posted by Gary Benson View Post
    Water softner salt works well too. Work it in a little so it dissolves into the ground. The deer will mine a hole in the ground.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Benson
    replied
    Water softner salt works well too. Work it in a little so it dissolves into the ground. The deer will mine a hole in the ground.

Leave a comment:

• chuck_5
    replied
    What I have been doing is clearing a 3' circle of all grass and debris and then churn up all the soil down about 4" so you'll be left with what looks like a tilled spot and then dump 10-15 pounds of it on top and take a rake or a spade and mix it into the dirt a little bit. They'll come by and eat the dirt and the mineral. If you just put it on top they would burn through the mineral right away. This way they eat the dirt with it and it lasts longer. You'll end up with a nice sized hole where they've eaten the dirt. It's called 365 or ADE mineral.

Leave a comment:

• DaWildBohemian
    replied
    Chuck, do you dump this right on the ground, put it in a small barrel or how are you applying it?? Also, how much do you put down per site?? Turns out I have a Kent dealer in my backyard so I will be able to get the 365 and give it a shot!!

Leave a comment:

• chuck_5
    replied
    The cattle stuff I use is mineral the salt content in it is very low compared to the other stuff. Here is what the content consists of....

Calcium (Ca), min
    15.3%
    Calcium (Ca), max
    18.3%
    Phosphorus (P), min
    8.0%
    Salt (NaCl), min
    13.5%
    Salt (NaCl), max
    16.2%
    Magnesium (Mg), min
    1.0%
    Potassium (K), min
    0.15%
    Copper (Cu), min
    1450 ppm
    Manganese (Mn), min
    4950 ppm
    Selenium (Se), min
    26.4 ppm
    Zinc (Zn), min
    4750 ppm
    Vitamin A, min
    380,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin D3, min
    100,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin E, min
    375 IU/lb

Leave a comment:

• whitetailaddict
    replied
    I used to just use the cattle salt or mineral block. The last couple of years I have used the Trophy Rock, and had amazing results. The deer love it and it is supposed to be full of valueable minerals.

Leave a comment:

• Ty S
    replied
    Chuck I do the same thing with the mixture that is all over the net. Cheap and very effective. I have bought all the different name brand crap and they are all just the same mix with a pretty bag or spokesman filling you full o crap.

Leave a comment:

• chuck_5
    replied
    Originally posted by DaWildBohemian View Post
    Chuck what brand is the 'cattle mineral' or what exactly does a guy ask for when trying to buy that??
    I'd just say im looking for an all season cattle mineral. The brand he sells is Kent and theirs is called 365 mineral.

Leave a comment:

• BassKisser
    replied
    I've been using Deer Cane Black Magic. Has worked well for me, but its also all i've used.

Leave a comment:

• DaWildBohemian
    replied
    Chuck what brand is the 'cattle mineral' or what exactly does a guy ask for when trying to buy that??

Leave a comment:

• chuck_5
    replied
    My old man is a feed dealer and suggested I try using the 365 mineral he sells. I bought a bag of that and set it next to the "deer mineral" and they hit both of them until the "deer mineral" got wet and then got moldy and then continued to eat a 6" hole where the cattle mineral was at. At about $17 a bag for the cattle mineral compared to a $50 for the same amount I have not bought the deer minerals for two years now. If you look at the salt content on the two the salt in the deer minerals is closer to 45% where in the cattle mineral it's about 20% and is well balanced with calcium and phosphorus.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X