Anyone heading out grouse hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone heading out grouse hunting?

I am bypassing my grouse hunt this year for a teal hunt. Not sure if it was a smart move as I really do love walking all day for those birds. Something beautiful about western Nebraska that we just dont get over here.

If you do go out. Please post up some pics. Im dying to see some.

Again...another thing that I've always wanted to do, but probably won't happen once, again, this year.

Deas

Comment

I'm leaving Friday morning for Halsey. Will be sure and take some pics.
      Cleaning Trash Fish FromThe Pit, One State Record At A Time

Comment

Good luck, Roger...Can't wait to see the pics and hear the stories.

Deas

Comment

I just don’t make it out to the panhandle often enough to go after any grouse, and when I am out there I’m usually chasing some pheasants with my uncle since he only gets out hunting once or twice a year anymore. Would like to find a place out there, though, because the pheasants are pretty scarce out there by mid season.

JLK
          "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by JLKESQ
            I just don’t make it out to the panhandle often enough to go after any grouse, and when I am out there I’m usually chasing some pheasants with my uncle since he only gets out hunting once or twice a year anymore. Would like to find a place out there, though, because the pheasants are pretty scarce out there by mid season.

JLK
            Yeah really...you never have much luck with ditch parrots out there. You should find a good place for grouse and pchickens...that would be pretty cool.

Deas

Comment

It’s not that we don’t have any luck out there, it’s that we don’t even see enough pheasants to have any luck in the first place.

I think that there are better populations north of Scottsbluff, but we never seem to get up there on those quick trips.
              "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by JLKESQ
                It’s not that we don’t have any luck out there, it’s that we don’t even see enough pheasants to have any luck in the first place.

I think that there are better populations north of Scottsbluff, but we never seem to get up there on those quick trips.
                Regardles...you ought to chase something when you out there that you can't really chase around here. :zthinking

Deas

Comment

I would say that there are alot more chickens and grouse that pheasants. I hunted around Atkinson last year and only seen maybe 4 pheasants the entire trip.

100's of grouse

Comment

I will be bowhunting in the mornings and evenings and chasing chickens in the afternoon. Man I can't wait! I am getting kinda freaky just thinking about it.....:badgrin:
                    Fall Harvest:
                    2 Whitetails
                    1 Turkey
                    1 Elk
                    1 Antelope

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Without our Second Amendment rights, all of our other rights arent inalienable, theyre just on loan from the government"

Comment

Just thought I'd post a few pics from the weekend's hunt. After running through a nasty hailstorm on the way out, it was a beautiful weekend.
                      A couple shots of the area we were hunting.

Getting in and out was almost as fun as the hunt.

Stopping for a much needed drink...

How much better does it get than walking over a ridge to see this?

This is Ryan, known on the old forum as "tucker" and his GSP, Tucker with their reward of the first day's hunt.

And lastly, Fritz and I with a couple chickens.

Cleaning Trash Fish FromThe Pit, One State Record At A Time

Comment

We were out and had a two man limit on saturday. Not as many birds as last few years but still a good time anyway.
                        Fall Harvest:
                        2 Whitetails
                        1 Turkey
                        1 Elk
                        1 Antelope

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Without our Second Amendment rights, all of our other rights arent inalienable, theyre just on loan from the government"

Comment

Cool photos, Roger...thanks for sharing!

Deas

Comment

Wow great pictures and post thanks for sharing:zthumbup:
                            Just cuz you've got a brush dont make you a painter

Eighty percent of success is showing up.

RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICT SINCE April 6th 2008

Comment

Looking at those pic,s makes me kind of sad.Gave up hunting 20 years ago for working.Now to old an legs won,t supprt it.Glad you guys had a good hunt
                              Been there Done that

Comment

Working...
                              X