No announcement yet.

stolen trail camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 years still waiting for the Lincoln Police to do there job.
    What exactly are they supposed to do? Were there any witnesses to identify the suspects? Did you also check Ebay and Craig's list? Maybe the thieves kept the camera for themselves? Unless caught in the act or with the stolen property, the chances of catching them are slim to none.

**DISCLAIMER** CSI is a T.V. show for entertainment purposes, things do not work like that in real life.
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" ~ Lee Wulff

Comment

Originally posted by Leupold View Post
      I'm curious of you on here that deploy a Trail camera. Can you explain how they help your hunting?

If the author of this thread wants you can create a new thread with my Question below its cool with me as I am not trying to Hijack your thread!!!!!!!
      I didn't want to clutter the forum up anymore than necessary with similar topics.

Do you believe that a trail camera has been your best tool and you would not have gotten "X" deer because of it?

The reason I ask is I have used one but I can't see where it is of any use for how I hunt. Which is probably like most hunt I guess. I read recently some states have banned the use of them and can prevent you from getting a record deer entered in a book of trophy's racks. Some people claim it is unethical and I wanted to see if I am missing a use for it. I can obviously see them marketed nearly everywhere so they must be a great tool, Right?

I am just afraid to strap a 100-200 plastic Item to a tree and trust no one will mess with it. I know of three persons now that have lost stands or trail cams in the last two weeks.

Thanks

The main thing I use my cameras for are to see what deer I have, specifically bucks, living on my property. This usually involves putting out some form of attractant, such as a mineral block, in front of the camera. Sure your not going to get every buck to come into that mineral block, but many of them will.

I also place them over fence crossings. This allows me to see what deer are crossing at this particular place and also when they are crossing there. Same thing goes for putting them over a trail.
      Is it duck season yet?

"Look, a pair of singles!"

Comment

I'm curious of you on here that deploy a Trail camera. Can you explain how they help your hunting?

If the author of this thread wants you can create a new thread with my Question below its cool with me as I am not trying to Hijack your thread!!!!!!!
        I didn't want to clutter the forum up anymore than necessary with similar topics.

Do you believe that a trail camera has been your best tool and you would not have gotten "X" deer because of it?

The reason I ask is I have used one but I can't see where it is of any use for how I hunt. Which is probably like most hunt I guess. I read recently some states have banned the use of them and can prevent you from getting a record deer entered in a book of trophy's racks. Some people claim it is unethical and I wanted to see if I am missing a use for it. I can obviously see them marketed nearly everywhere so they must be a great tool, Right?

I am just afraid to strap a 100-200 plastic Item to a tree and trust no one will mess with it. I know of three persons now that have lost stands or trail cams in the last two weeks.

Thanks
        I personally just started using them this year. I picked up some new land to hunt and wanted to see what may be out there. I put down a mineral block and had 100 pictures of deer in the first week by my stand. I couldn't believe there was a little 3 point buck in there licking that thing the next morning. I have 2 other cameras that I just put up by my 2 other stands I hung last weekend. Since this is new land I only spent $50 on each camera! It was cool to see what time the deer were making there way past my stand along the bean field every day. Not that their patterns won't change, but nice to know. I am still waiting for the big buck to show up on camera. Plenty of his tracks around the property!
        There are two pains in life! The pain of discipline, and the pain of regret!

Comment

Originally posted by Done View Post
          **DISCLAIMER** CSI is a T.V. show for entertainment purposes, things do not work like that in real life.
          Are u sure?? I could have sworn all that was real?

Comment

Heres a tip dont use trail cams do your scouting old school. Look for rubs scrapes trails and get out and glass. That trail cam industry is one created to seperate you from your money.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbosan View Post
              Heres a tip dont use trail cams do your scouting old school. Look for rubs scrapes trails and get out and glass. That trail cam industry is one created to seperate you from your money.
              I agree with you. I do all of these things, but when the property is over an hour and a half away one way it helps out! I have spent the last 3 weekends scouting and hanging stands. The cameras just help since I am not a quick drive away.
              There are two pains in life! The pain of discipline, and the pain of regret!

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

While I do own a trail camera (5+ years old) I found it to be a huge time sink and a point of worry and the added expense of Gas, time and battery's made me determine it was not a effective tool for me in the long run. I know that the Resolution and battery life has greatly improved from my first camera but the place I hunt is relativity open and a trip around the section gets me the Intel I need. For me other than the additional trips to check battery's and trade out cards the added fact I was entering my hunting area and leaving scent could be a good or bad depending on how much you hunt that area. Then if someone would see you entering they could figure out where you equipment is with little effort on their part.

I have found over the years you really cant pattern older bucks which is why I believe they are older. So for me I would hate to see a Trail Cam Pic of that 6x7 double drop tine pie ball Buck and waste my season away trying to harvest him. Most of the time in our part of the state if there is a "big buck" around everyone within 10 miles of there knows where he has been seen and just really ruins the hunting since you get guys out there that don't hunt every year and everyone tromps all over looking for him. A property I have permission on for the last 4 years had a big buck on it last fall which made the paper and the Farmer asked us to hold off until December because his family was after the "Big Buck" well it turns out that the combined family was about 8-12 hunters on his place (3/4 and 1/2 section) nearly every day Driving in and parking in the way and has ruined our Pre-Rifle Bow hunting. That farmer is considering not letting anyone hunt but his sons now... so who knows we might have lost a good place to hunt by no fault of my own because of one deer. I could tell the farmer felt bad with all the things we had done helping him out on his farm in the past.

The only thing in my opinion where a Trail camera would be an asset is if you are wanting to lease the ground or sell hunts for monetary gain or swap hunts with another person that is not local.

Comment

Thanks
                  Leupold, you can hijack my threads anytime -- more conversation is better! I use my trail cams to see when deer are using the areas I hunt. If they're active in the mornings, and I hunt afternoons, I see fewer deer. As a grad student (hell, as a human being!), my time to hunt is limited, so I try to make the most efficient use of it, and trail cams help me do that.
                  <*)))>< <*)))>< <*)))>< <*)))><

Get out into God's country.....you'll find Him there.

Genesis 1:26: "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and make them stewards of the fish of the sea and the birds of the air ... and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Comment

Originally posted by jimbosan View Post
                    My trail cam was set up next to a trail, over a scrape. I did my scouting, and now I'm letting the cameras tell me when the deer are using the trail, and what deer are using the scrape. I learned to do it old-school, and prefer nu-skool tools to help me bag more deer.
                    <*)))>< <*)))>< <*)))>< <*)))><

Get out into God's country.....you'll find Him there.

Genesis 1:26: "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and make them stewards of the fish of the sea and the birds of the air ... and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Comment

Working...
                    X