stolen trail camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Needed stolen trail camera

I know I'm neither the first nor last person this has happened to, but its the first time for me and I need to get it off my chest. My camera was hung a week ago today, on private land that I (and no one else) have permission to hunt on, about 3 minutes from my house in NW Lincoln. It was still there on Monday afternoon, when I hung a tree stand on the same property. Went back to check pics yesterday after work, and the camera was gone. :evil: In a twisted bit of irony, the steel cable and padlock that I had used to secure the camera to the tree were still there. Didn't mess with my stand or ladder sticks at all, just took the trail cam. So, if anybody sees a Tasco 5.0 IR trail camera with the padlock-thingy cut off, punch the new owner in the throat for me. So much for patterning the deer on that property.

Are there viable options for more safely and securely attaching a trail camera to a tree, or am I just S.O.L.? I've seen some steel "bear boxes" for trail cams at Scheels, but I don' think my camera would fit in it right.
    <*)))>< <*)))>< <*)))>< <*)))><

Get out into God's country.....you'll find Him there.

Genesis 1:26: "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and make them stewards of the fish of the sea and the birds of the air ... and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

That sucks Jason! I will punch him/her in the the throat if I see them.
    That fish was on that fly, faster than Oprah on a sweet roll! Tim Hebbard
    I'm not part of a redneck agenda. Green Day

Comment

That's bogus man. I suppose it could have been worse, but it is still crap that someone stole your camera. Even worse it will probably end up in a pawn shop somewhere

Comment

That is the problem with all the Tools we use. You are literally strapping a 100 dollar bill to a tree.
        Its the exact reason I carry my stand in every time. There is no way I could in good conscious leave a $250 stand there is it just to tempting for someone.

Comment

If you have 2 more cameras you could try this to catch them. Put up another cheap camera in the same place. Then use your climbing sticks to put up another camera way up in a tree pointing down on the first camera. Make sure it is not the same tree as your stand is in so he won't see it also. Take your climbing sticks with you just in case he would see the other camera up in the tree. More than likely he will have no way to get up to it. This should do 2 things. You will get a picture of who is stealing and/or he will realize you are going to catch him and not come back.

If you get a picture of him go to the police and also post it every place you can. On forums, telephone poles, etc. I mean everywhere!! On your posts leave a email addy for people to be able to tell you who it is.

Comment

I got an older moutrie you can have that someone hung on my property, that i removed. lol
            but ur nw of lincoln im ne of lincoln. just to clear that up.

Comment

That sucks! You could try to put your cams higher up next time as stated before with no way to get to it! You could rig up a fake one that has a dye pack in it so when they open it they get covered in dye! Or get a $50 dollar one to place out there on new land in case it does get stolen! That is what I did. Hopefully they are there tomorrow!!!
              There are two pains in life! The pain of discipline, and the pain of regret!

Comment

What happend to "If it isnt yours DONT F$%^ with it" Thats the problem these days no respect for others. I know how u feel got my GPS stolen out of my truck in NW lincoln. Called a couple pawn shops and I got the run around about how i was messing with there buisness????? And that I should let the LPD deal with it.. 2 years later still no phone call and I had the serial number off of it... I'll deliver the person to ya if i find them hog tied in the back of my truck so u can deal with them yourself. Turn the other cheek so to speak :vWicked:

Comment

Had some photograph equipment stolen out of a car. High end stuff . Had all the serial numbers. Had my sons wedding pictures on the card. 5 years still waiting for the Lincoln Police to do there job. Finaly got tired of making the weekly calls to the Pawn shops and hearing the same line " your messing with are business". Kept telling them all we wanted was the card for the pictures .

You always can try to camoflauge the camera. Some interesting ways to do it on the chasing game web site.
                  http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
                  Also alot of interesting threads. Good Luck finding it.

Comment

Hmmmm starting to see a trend with the LPD:vThinking:

Comment

Security boxes would be a waste of time. If someone is going to steal your camera they are going to steal the security box take it home and get the camera. Security boxes only serve as something to make sure bears dont beat up your camera.

Comment

what they need is an app to go with a cheap cellphone that sends out the pictures as they are taken, that way if someone steals it, the photo is already sent away, and you lost a chepo $20 phone.. although with the way cell service doesn't work 5 miles out of lincoln it would not be too useful, but go to central nebraska and it would be great!
                        "I'd bang my head into the wall, but your horde is in the way"

Comment

Originally posted by tuckerhusker View Post
                          what they need is an app to go with a cheap cellphone that sends out the pictures as they are taken, that way if someone steals it, the photo is already sent away, and you lost a chepo $20 phone.. although with the way cell service doesn't work 5 miles out of lincoln it would not be too useful, but go to central nebraska and it would be great!
                          They make cellular based cameras. They are not very cheap!
                          There are two pains in life! The pain of discipline, and the pain of regret!

Comment

I'm curious of you on here that deploy a Trail camera. Can you explain how they help your hunting?

If the author of this thread wants you can create a new thread with my Question below its cool with me as I am not trying to Hijack your thread!!!!!!!
                            I didn't want to clutter the forum up anymore than necessary with similar topics.

Do you believe that a trail camera has been your best tool and you would not have gotten "X" deer because of it?

The reason I ask is I have used one but I can't see where it is of any use for how I hunt. Which is probably like most hunt I guess. I read recently some states have banned the use of them and can prevent you from getting a record deer entered in a book of trophy's racks. Some people claim it is unethical and I wanted to see if I am missing a use for it. I can obviously see them marketed nearly everywhere so they must be a great tool, Right?

I am just afraid to strap a 100-200 plastic Item to a tree and trust no one will mess with it. I know of three persons now that have lost stands or trail cams in the last two weeks.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Leupold View Post
                              I'm curious of you on here that deploy a Trail camera. Can you explain how they help your hunting?

If the author of this thread wants you can create a new thread with my Question below its cool with me as I am not trying to Hijack your thread!!!!!!!
                              I didn't want to clutter the forum up anymore than necessary with similar topics.

Do you believe that a trail camera has been your best tool and you would not have gotten "X" deer because of it?

The reason I ask is I have used one but I can't see where it is of any use for how I hunt. Which is probably like most hunt I guess. I read recently some states have banned the use of them and can prevent you from getting a record deer entered in a book of trophy's racks. Some people claim it is unethical and I wanted to see if I am missing a use for it. I can obviously see them marketed nearly everywhere so they must be a great tool, Right?

I am just afraid to strap a 100-200 plastic Item to a tree and trust no one will mess with it. I know of three persons now that have lost stands or trail cams in the last two weeks.

Thanks

I think you will find that many who use trail cams find them a valuable tool. With the sales and marketing of such I would assume most people nation wide agree. I own one. I have never used it and figure out it will be something I tinker around with when I get to it.

I don't need one to see if deer are around. There are plenty of ways to tell that. I think the overwhelming majority of those that do use them are looking to see if there are any big bucks in the area to hunt. Even if that's what you are looking for most of those camera's are firing at or around 20 yards or less. What about that big buck 90 yards down the road? How many camera's does one need to cover every acre? I personally always figured if I depended on what I seen on a trail cam I would miss out on just as many opportunities as I took advantage of.

I have always wondered at those cameras that have been stolen on private land. The trespassers who are stealing them must spend an awful lot of time on that land in order to stumble across a dull colored box strapped to a tree. Wouldn't finding one in a 20 acre wooded area be a little like finding a needle in a haystack? In my opinion most of them would have to be stolen by people who KNEW you had them in those woods . Landowners kids ( or thier friends) , neighbors or other hunting "friends" .

Comment

Working...
                              X