Looking to buy a new shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy a new shotgun

I've been looking for a while now at buying a new shotgun. I'm mainly looking at the Winchester Super X 3, the Benilli M2, and a Stoeger Condor Supreme or Field Combo.

My biggest question with the X 3 and M2 is how well it ejects 2 3/4" shells, I mostly do a lot of pheasant and quail hunting. I've heard that a few of the semi autos have issues with kicking out shells smaller than 3 inches.

Let me know if you have one of those 3 guns, what you've liked or disliked, if you'd buy another one, or if you've had one in the past.

Thanks for your help

dont own any of those but for the money stoeger m2000 is an awesome. i put around 125, 2 3/4'' shells through it this last weekend no problems.
    And it puts the smack down on geese.

Comment

I would buy the M2, simple and reliable operating system that takes a beating and keeps going. I'm not a fan of gas operated systems. The M2 will kick out higher powered 1oz. loads, and all but the weakest 1 1/8oz. loads no problem. I shoot a SBEII (M2's big brother) and it throw them out as well, even being a 3.5" (89mm) chambered gun.
      Last edited by Double28; 09-07-2011, 05:40 PM.
      That fish was on that fly, faster than Oprah on a sweet roll! Tim Hebbard
      I'm not part of a redneck agenda. Green Day

Comment

Get a pump, they don't have those issues!

Comment

I've got an X3 and love it! Never had any issues with it cycling anything I throw at it. I do like to take care of my stuff so I keep it clean (about ever 3 hunts I clean it) but I have never understood why someone would spend $1000+ on a gun and not take care of it. I have also had an M2 (older HK model) and it was a pos. Had problems with it cycling even waterfowl loads after I cleaned and replaced the spring with a sure cycle. Also, keep in mind that the X3 will have less recoil which gives you faster follow up shots. Either guns I am sure you will enjoy. Good luck!

Comment

I don't shoot either one of these guns however I have heard good things about the both but I'm partial to the X3. Price is a big determination with me and if memory serves me correctly I think the Benelli was probably 200-300 more than the X3.. (could be wrong here)

One thing with the older inertia/recoil guns like the Browning A5's is if you didn't have the gun solidly on your shoulder it MIGHT not cycle correctly causing the 2nd shell not to load. I am sure that the benneli's don't have this issue though. (hope not anyway)

You'll be happy with either/any gun IMO may also want to see if X store has a couple used ones that you might try over a weekend. Unsure IF they would but if you tell them you plan to buy this or that one maybe they would work with you! (just an idea, never hurts to ask)

Comment

sx3

I shoot a sx3 and love it. no problems and have 600+ rounds shot through it from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 in doesn't matter just keeps shooting. I have seen a few SB2 freeze up in really cold wet conditions. If money is not an issue look at the Beretta extrema 2 with ko. also a great gun.

Comment

I have the m2 and it works great. Just as the Duck Commander says Bang, Bang, Bang. I like to keep it lightly oiled and clean it every three hunts or so.

Comment

Originally posted by stevem308 View Post
                  I have the m2 and it works great. Just as the Duck Commander says Bang, Bang, Bang. I like to keep it lightly oiled and clean it every three hunts or so.

Its boom boom boom lol

Comment

I have the original SBE. I wouldnt trade it for anything. But, if I had to, I would go the M2. I love the operating system.

Comment

What about an 1100 or 11-87

Comment

After looking at all the Benelli SBE's on the used gun rack at Cabelas and Sheels today and not a single SX3 to be found, that would lead me to an SX3 or a Browning Maxxus (same firearm basically)... I'm not sure if folks are just on hard times and sell their high end Benelli first or if there is just that many who don't like them for some reason or another... I know my next Auto will be a Beretta Xtrema, Browning Maxxus or Win SX3...

Comment

Browning Gold. A couple goose eaters I know back home shoot 'em. Or look for an HK Benelli, that gets Docta Jones' vote.

Comment

I have an older Benelli M2. Not familiar with the other firearm units mentioned.

I really like the inertia system because its never failed to eject a shell. Seldom use the word "never" but in this case its true. My comparison is on extremely cold days I've had gas chambered firearms jam (fail to eject the shell).

Plus I like to tell the story of a time I dropped the M2 in the river. Picked it up and shot a duck 10 minutes later.

Good luck with your research.
                            "In the order of nature we cannot render benefits to those from whom we receive them, or only seldom. But the benefit we receive must be rendered again, line for line, deed for deed, cent for cent, to somebody." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Do your self a favor and get a pump, 870 is hard to beat.

Comment

Working...
                              X