Duck Pond De-Ice (Aeration) Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Duck Pond De-Ice (Aeration) Pumps

Guys, I need a suggestion for a 120v generator powered pond aeration pump. Need to keep the duck pond open this year. Would like to not spend a ton of money, but looking for some ideas and what's worked for you guys? I've seen the ice eaters and the $1000 pond pumps... Was hoping to find something at Menards or Tractor Supply that would do the trick with a small portable generator...

Thanks...

Get on Ebay and find a beat-up fishing trolling motor in the 80-101 pound thrust range. Thear it down to just the motor, cut the bottom out of a 5-gallon bucket, attach the motor inside the bucket. You can either use charged car batteries or get a converter to run it off of the generator. I have seen one connected to a high grade cattle fence solar panel charger and a series of batteries and it never stops running. They just cover the panel with burlap when thay are hunting and remove it when they are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Steinke View Post
      Get on Ebay and find a beat-up fishing trolling motor in the 80-101 pound thrust range. Thear it down to just the motor, cut the bottom out of a 5-gallon bucket, attach the motor inside the bucket. You can either use charged car batteries or get a converter to run it off of the generator. I have seen one connected to a high grade cattle fence solar panel charger and a series of batteries and it never stops running. They just cover the panel with burlap when thay are hunting and remove it when they are gone.

Ive always thought about doing this but never been brave enough to waste the money if I cant get it to work. Maybe this year.

Comment

I've got a 40# 12v Trolling Motor slated for this project... I think that's plenty of thrust... An 80# troller pulls a lot of amps and is over 2hp... I'll let you all know how the 40# Minn Kota works out...

Comment

Depending on how deep the water is, if its really shallow you will have a tough time keeping it open without pumping in warm ground water, even with a ice eater. Always used a 3/4 horse sump pump in the deeper water with good results...dont forget to put the motor in a barrel or it will dig a hole for itself. Lol Run the pvc pipe out of the pump and cut it 2 foot below the waterline or it will shoot spray in the air. The deeper the water the pump is setting in the bigger the open hole.

Comment

Working...
          X