To shoot or not to shoot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flatcoats View Post
    I agree fully that more deer than 15% around here can reach 150+ if given the opportunity. I would say MOST deer I have on camera that are mature are over 150 inches, not the contrary.

As for shooting that buck, I say choose to shoot him because you want to shoot him, as I dont believe your actions are going to have a significant enough impact on the genetics, especially to burn one of two buck tags on.
    I agree and I would say most the 4.5 yr old plus deer pics posted on this forum are over 150 or getting dang close. I also agree my individual actions will not make one bit of difference. Its a drop in the ocean. Hunters collectively as a whole must choose to participate in "QDM". I can only lead by example and hope others will follow.

Comment

let him walk.
      "Lord, suffer me a buck so large that even I, in talking of it afterward, have no need to lie."

Comment

I'd let him walk 1 more year...if he isn't growing up next year...take him outta the herd.

Comment

I wouldnt shoot him, to me he only looks like he is 2 and a half. How big is the property?

Comment

I would put him at 2.5 as well, no pot belly & still looks pretty sleek, wish there was a better shot of his nose. Looks alot like a 2.5 yr old 9 pt I have on one of my trail cams in IL. Even if he doesn't gain any more points for the next 2 yrs & gains lots of mass, he could still push 150. Another thing to consider is he could of been injured, on his left side, last year & antler growth could of suffered on his right side because of it.

Comment

Working...
            X