To shoot or not to shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To shoot or not to shoot?

I think this guy is 3.5yr old. He's only got a big 3 on one side and barely 5 on the other, little crab claw at the end. In limbo, about wheter to take this guy if I get the chance or not. What do you think? I like at least 4 points on each side by 3.5, considering culling him if I get a shot.

IMO, unless you're a kid, the only buck worth shooting is one that will be mounted. Now,I can understand deer management to some extent but around here there isn't a whole lot(high fences) to keep bucks from moving around as they wish. I guess the question that comes to mind is...are you willing to use a buck tag this early to cull the population? Maybe later in the season if given the chance,sure.

Alex
    They have cometh

Comment

Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
      IMO, unless you're a kid, the only buck worth shooting is one that will be mounted.
      I agree with that to some extent, but what if they never get big enough to mount? Some deer simply don't grow "big" antlers. I'm afraid this guy will never make the 150" mark, which is what I "aim" for. Thats my goal, as I will mount anything over 150".

Burning a buck tag is no big deal to me. I will enjoy hunting him and he will eat good.

Comment

I've seen a QDMA study that will show that less than 15% of bucks ever get to 150 with out harvest so the odds of any buck getting there isn't great. This guy is junk but killing him probably won't make much genetic difference in a wild herd. You'd be better of finding his mother if you could and kill her.

Comment

How about you let me shoot him and your worries will be gone....I'll even euro mount him if it make you feel better.:wRazzing:

Comment

Shoot him, you don't want those genes passed on.

Comment

Originally posted by laughingwatr View Post
              I've seen a QDMA study that will show that less than 15% of bucks ever get to 150 with out harvest
              Where was that study done? I find it hard to believe that only 15% of bucks in the "midwest" ever make 150" IF allowed to mature. States like NE, IA, IL, OH, KS, etc..... have great habitat and potential, that MUCH of the US simply does not have. I can believe that number for southern and eastern states. I could be wrong, but I would really like to know where they conducted that research to get that number.

You are right momma contributes 50% of the genes and killing her would do just as good. I'll try my darndest, I shoot as many as I can, but hard to see any relation without antlers. You are also correct in saying that killing this individual buck won't make much of a difference, BUT if everybody gets on board and only harvest mature deer or those that simply don't make the "cut" then you can make a serious difference. I believe in "QDM", I believe it works. I DO NOT want to force it upon any hunter, but I believe the best way to convert people is simply practice what you preach. So thats what I am doing.

Comment

He may be younger than you think also. You could always let the next car hit it also. Your call. There are many ways for a buck to be taken out of the pool.
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jabNE View Post
                  You could always let the next car hit it also. Your call.
                  '

LOL funny, and entirely possible as he is only about 1 mile from a state highway where this picture was taken.

Comment

Start a thread asking how many people have shot a deer over 150. Id bet its less than 15%

Comment

Originally posted by Ty S View Post
                      Start a thread asking how many people have shot a deer over 150. Id bet its less than 15%
                      LOL, well I totally agree with that. Mostly because most bucks never reach maturity to grow them that big. Shooting 1.5yr old and 2.5yr old bucks guarantees that. It wouldn't suprise me if only 15% of bucks or less make it to see 4.5 yrs, simply due to hunting pressure. Therefore, those that have shot 150+ buck are fewer than that.

What I am saying, is given the chance to mature I believe more than 15% of 4.5 and 5.5 year old bucks are sporting 150+ inch antlers, especially in the "midwest"

Comment

I see what your saying. Problem is there are few remote areas that allow deer to grow. As long as we have a rifle season. Its not going to happen. Ive passed on lots of deer that got shot by the neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by elkstalkr View Post
                          LOL, well I totally agree with that. Mostly because most bucks never reach maturity to grow them that big. Shooting 1.5yr old and 2.5yr old bucks guarantees that. It wouldn't suprise me if only 15% of bucks or less make it to see 4.5 yrs, simply due to hunting pressure. Therefore, those that have shot 150+ buck are fewer than that.

What I am saying, is given the chance to mature I believe more than 15% of 4.5 and 5.5 year old bucks are sporting 150+ inch antlers, especially in the "midwest"

I agree fully that more deer than 15% around here can reach 150+ if given the opportunity. I would say MOST deer I have on camera that are mature are over 150 inches, not the contrary.

As for shooting that buck, I say choose to shoot him because you want to shoot him, as I dont believe your actions are going to have a significant enough impact on the genetics, especially to burn one of two buck tags on.
                          Last edited by flatcoats; 09-07-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I don' think it has as much to do with letting them mature in the sense that you would see more 150+ class. I think it may have more to do with the fact that the genetics of a 150 + class may be somewhat rare ( maybe more then 15% ) however the opportunity to share those genes are restricted.

A 5 year old 150+ class class buck is rare both in genetics to a degree and survivability. That deer in 5 years was involved in producing so many deer with genetics diluted by 50% with it's offspring and only 50% or so of that offspring would be bucks anyhow. I would guess the quality of it's offspring has as much to do with the doe's genetics as well as the bucks. We all know bucks during the rut are not selective in the doe's they breed

That same buck in the first year or two may not have had much chance to breed if there were plenty of 130-140 class bucks in the area. Only when it grew up and was the dominate 150 class in the area would it get a chance to breed many more doe's then the former competition allowed. That would allow 2 or so years to spread a lot of genes before it was shot by a hunter who was happy ( and rightfully so ) to shoot a 5 year old 150 class. Considering a 150 class deer rare ( 15% or so percent) does' not necessarily surprise me . In a deer heard of around 300K ( about Nebraska's numbers) that would leave with (proper management) around 45K of 150 class bucks running around the state With Nebraska being around 77K square miles that would be a 150 class every 1.7 square miles. Seems a little high to me?

There is no way you are going to hammer 1/3 of he states deer population annually AND be able to control the quality of the left over deer's genetics in a free ranging deer herd. After all it's not just the bucks responsible for big antlered genes THAT I’M AWARE OF? However not being a deer biologist maybe antler size is a trait that is guaranteed ( or at least highly more likely) if only one the parents have the characteristics.

Shoot or not shoot? I'm with you , no reason to take a pair of antlers your not going to find value in. However when the time is right , pending a still empty freezer, I will take ANY deer that puts some good eats on the plate. Statistically it appears that it is very unlikely to be a future 150 class deer.
                            Last edited by centerx; 09-07-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ty S View Post
                              Ive passed on lots of deer that got shot by the neighbors.
                              Yea, been there before. But I know the neighbors can't get them all and the ones I pass on are that much more likely to grow old!!

Comment

Working...
                              X