X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigjon61
    replied
    Originally posted by jabNE View Post
    Neat to see kids picking the sport up. Tell her to keep practicing though, looks like her first shot didn't get very far (stuck in ground) ha ha.
    Jim
    Not unless she was shooting that carp right beside the boat...:vWicked:

Leave a comment:

• jabNE
    replied
    Neat to see kids picking the sport up. Tell her to keep practicing though, looks like her first shot didn't get very far (stuck in ground) ha ha.
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• holdemplyer
    replied
    Jerry, right now she's shooting it at minimum, and that's about 10 lbs.

Leave a comment:

• pontoonfisher
    replied
    Hey Alex, what weight is she shooting? Simple way to figure out is to use your fishing scale and pull the bow back with the scale. My 8 year old is shooting 12 lbs and My 10 year old is shooting 22 lbs. I bought a target at Scheels last week, hung it from the rafters and we hung an old dog blanket in the garage for a back stop. I remember about 30 years ago, my mom took me to woods and waters to learn to shoot, and I never stopped

Leave a comment:

• holdemplyer
    replied
    Tom, PM sent.

As always, great info!

Leave a comment:

• centerx
    replied

Proper stance . Basically 3, open, closed or natural. What's better ? Whatever allows your body to most easily align with the target. How do you tell? That's a secret but your body tells you all you want to know. Most shoot with a slightly open stance.

Proper bone on bone alignment. In the picture she looks a little hyper extended BUT it could be worse as she appears to still be keeping a low bow shoulder. Overall it looks really good for just starting ! Proper fit of the gear is 80% of this battle. Hard for children to find gear that fits so compromises are frequent . Again sounds complicated but it's not . If you have ever leaned against a wall with one hand and talked to somebody with a beer in the other you were able to do that through bone on bone alignment. Again, your body tells you what you need to do. You just need to set the bow up to allow the body to do what it wants to do naturally

Release. Fingers or release aid? Each require certain techniques. Proper back tension helps steady the shot. How do you tell what it feels like ? Another secret. Ok , not secrets just to hard to explain but easy to demonstrate

Follow through. Basically it's to end were you started . The best ways to get the body to do that is to focus on the bullesye the entire shot until impact.Eveybody thinks they do but the don't . They watch the arrow fly but to do that you have to what I call "pull out of the shot" . What you should see is the bullesye empty and then the arrow pop right into it. Concentration and follow through is a huge part of getting successful.Pure concentration drives away any other thoughts . Practicign it is kind of relaxing! In fact there is a whole Japanese practice around it called Kyudo

Kids love to shoot at things that break. Balloons , clay targets, ect. No problem bringing the target bag, press and even the deer target if you like. With children I personally just like to get the equipment to fit the best you can and let them have fun correcting only on the very basic form flaws. If it feels like work they lose interest

Leave a comment:

• Omaha
    replied
    That picture is almost as scary as the first time I saw you with a bow. :wscared:

But seriously, that's good stuff. Between you, the wife, and your eldest daughter, anything worth putting arrow in is currently in danger.

Leave a comment:

• holdemplyer
    replied
    We'll prob end up at Full Draw, that's where we ordered the bow from, and they have been very friendly and helpful so far!

Leave a comment:

• hershy
    replied
    Archery Instruction

In the Omaha-Area I would point you towards Golden Arrow (http://www.archeryclub.com/) and/or Full Draw Archery Shop on 144th St (http://www.fulldrawarchery.net/)

They can get Daughter & Father on the right archery path to the point of lethal consistency.

hershy

Leave a comment:

• holdemplyer
    started a topic One happy 9 year old!

One happy 9 year old!

Kenz got her bow yesterday, a PSE Discovery II. Now I just need to hook up with someone who can teach her better than me as I'm new to archery, and have only done bowfishing. I have no doubt already formed bad habits.
Working...
X